Tag Archives: 1887

Salvation Army Barracks

From the Wallington & Carshalton Herald – Saturday 01 October 1887

The Salvation Army.

— New barracks for the use of the Salvation Army were opened by “Col.” Nicol, on Saturday. Previous to the service, the “soldiers” paraded the village with music and banners. A large number was present at the service, including contingents from Wimbhdon, Sutton, etc. On Sunday the opening services were continued and the army again marched in procession through the streets. The new building is situated in Gladstone Road. which leads out of Merton Lane, and is in the midst of the houses of the poorer inhabitants of Mitchani. It is of neat elevation, brick built with stone facings, the porch being surmounted with a Maltese Cross. The outside measurement is about 50ft. by 20 ft. The hall is of neat appearance, having a spacious platform at the end. It is estimated to hold 250 persons. At the rear of the platform is a retiring room and the usual offices, also a kitchen containing a copper, etc. The hall is well lighted and the arrangements for ventilation are excellent. It has been built from plans by Mr. Olley, of Wimbledon. by Mr. J. Way, of the same town.

Lock’s Lane

Road that runs south-eastwards from junctions with Streatham Road and London Road, twoards Eastfields Road. It was named after Lock’s Farm, at the Figges Marsh end, according to J.D. Drewett, in his ‘Memories of Old Mitcham’.

In this OS map from 1893, the part now called Eastfields Road is shown as Tamworth Lane:

1893 OS map

These street directories describe the road from Figg’s Marsh:

1896

George DAVIS, greengrocer
2, Mrs Rhoda GILBERT, laundress

Grange Villas:

1, James NEW
4, John W. BEARDWELL

Primrose Cottage, James MIZEN

Note that what is today called Eastfields Road was once part of Tamworth Lane and hence the Primrose Cottage listed in Lock’s Lane is the same as the one in Eastfields Road.

1904-5

Henry WOODS, pig dealer

2, Mrs Emma SCHMIDT, laundress
James FLEMMING
Charles WELLER
Clement BELCHER
Richard TOOGOOD
Edward THUMWOOD, carman

1910-11

The Mitcham Steam Laundry Co.
Henry WOODS, pig dealer

2, Robert John BULL, laundry
Clement BELCHER
Thomas DAVIS, decorator
Richard TOOGOOD, confectioner
George William TURNER, carman

1915

This directory disagrees with the 1914 electoral register that has Toogood and Rosemary Villas in Eastfields Road.

John HARDING, laundry
The Mitcham Steam Laundry Co.

… here are Carew & Lansdell Roads

Mrs H. TOOGOOD, confectioner

Rosemary Villas:

10, Charles WILSON
9, John GODDEN
8, James SULLIVAN
7, George HEPWORTH
6, Henry WOODS
5, Edwin LUMB
4, John Frederick WADE
3, Andrew DUNNING
2, Samuel AULT
1, William BENSTEAD

George William TURNER, carman

The 1925 street directory describes the road as from Streatham Road to Eastfields Road:

John F. RENSHAW & Co. Ltd., almond specialists

Brookborough Cottages:
John Frederick SCOTT
William EDWARDS

Vine Cottages:
2, Walter MILLER
1, Mrs PENNIGER

Marsh Cottages:
2, Joseph BATES
1, Thomas Joseph WOODING, verger St Marks, Upper Mitcham
St. Mary’s (Balham) Social & Lawn Tennis Club (H.G. Brightwell, hon. treasurer)
Star Laundry (J.J. HARDING, proprietor)
Thomas TRICKER

The 1935 OS map shows that Marsh and Firtree Avenues have now been built off the south side of Locks Lane. The confectionaery factory shown is that of John F. Renshaw, which made marzipan and supplied almonds for cakes etc.

1935 OS map

References in Newspapers

West London Observer – Saturday 30 April 1887

WANTED, by a Respectable Young Man, regular employment of any kind ; not with horses.— Apply, W. B., 11, Lock’s Lane, Mitcham.

World War 1 Connections
Private William Henry Tricker