Tag Archives: Mitcham and Cheam Brewery

C.E. Spence

Newsagent and stationer who had a shop from around 1914 at number 5 the Broadway,
which was later renumbered as 323 London Road, as shown in this ad from the 1934 Official Guide to Mitcham:

1934 ad

Text of ad:

The Mitcham Circulating Library
Also SUBSCRIPTION LIBRARY

in connection with
MESSRS. W. H. SMITH & SON
2d. Volume – – No Deposit.

C. E. SPENCE

ARTISTIC PRINTER :: STATIONER
BOOKSELLER AND NEWSAGENT
BOOKBINDER :: PICTURE FRAMER
FANCY NEEDLEWORK :: TOYS

(Agent for Pullar’s Dye Works).

323 London Road, LOWER MITCHAM

In the 1913 directory, the newsagent is listed as John James KENYON. In the 1915 directory it is C.E. SPENCE.


From Ancestry:

In the 1939 register, Charles Edward SPENCE, stationer newsagent, born 1872, lived at 323 London Road with his wife Fanny E.M.B. SPENCE.

He died in 1941 and left £590 4s. to his widow Fanny Emma Mary Broadridge SPENCE.

From Norwood News – Friday 24 January 1941

NEWSAGENT FOR MANY YEARS

Mr. Charles Spence

THE death of Mr. Charles Edward Spence, well-known bookseller and newsagent, 323 London-road, Mitcham, has come as a great shock to his many friends and acquaintances.

Mr. Spence. who was 68 years of age, originally came to Mitcham from Cheam, where he had been associated with the Mitcham and Cheam Brewery.

For 26 years he was a prominent tradesman in Mitcham, and around him made a very large circle of friends and customers. He was a member of the Mitcham Chamber of Commerce, Mrs. Spence being on the Social Cornmittee.

Mr. Spence has been in the choir at St. Dunstan’s Church, Cheam, since boyhood, and it was in the graveyard of this church that the funeral took place.

Numerous floral tributes included one from the Tooting and Mitcham Newsagents’ Federation, of which he was an active member, testifying to the esteem in which he was held.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. Donald S. Drewett, Upper Green, Mitcham.


Building Plans Approved 19th Century

From Croydon Rural District Authority Minutes

4 April 1895:
– additions to Killick’s Lane Board School

16 May 1895 plans approved:
– coach house & stable, Baron Row, Mitcham Dr. Ferrier Clarke

11 July 1895:
– stable, Lock’s Lane E. Thumwood

22 August 1895:
Messrs Mizen, Eastfields, to erect two cottages at Manor Farm, Westfields

17 October 1895:
– Messrs Typke & King to build a lab at the Crowned Chemical Works, Mitcham
– Mr JD Drewett to erect two cottages in Killick’s Road

10 June 1897:
Warehouse at Phipps’ Bridge road by Harland & son

10 June 1897:
10 houses in Graham rd by Mr HJ Vile of 4 Crieff Rd, Wandsworth

8 July 1897:
– Mr G Pitt of Mitcham to erect a cottage in Church rd Mitcham
– Mr J Burges, Norman rd, Merton to erect a butler’s pantry at the “Cedars”, Mitcham

21 October 1897:
– Mr JM Pitt of Mitcham to erect four houses Gladstone rd, Mitcham

4 November 1897:
E. Pearce of 264 Brixton rd, to erect stable & coach house at Graham rd, Mitcham

6 January 1898:
Mr CF Woodward of Graham avenue to erect four cottages in Church rd., Mitcham

20 January 1898:
RA Bush, Hall Place, Mitcham to erect four pairs semi-detached villas in Church street, Mitcham

17 March 1898:
Perry & Reid of 9 John Street, Adelphi for erection of new public house “Buck’s Head”, Mitcham

20 April 1899:
Chapman, FC houses Fortescue Road
Mitcham & Cheam Brewery co. – offices, Lower Mitcham

14 May 1899
New road at Miles Road, Mitcham was approved in November 1898 at 36ft wide, but bye-laws had since changed to 40ft; committee decided not to insist on wider width as plans were approved before the change.

25 May 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – six houses Pitcairn rd.
J. Wilson – 37 houses Gorringe Park, Mitcham

13 July 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – 14 houses Pitcairn rd.

27 July 1899:
Chapman, FC – 2 houses Fortescue Road, Mitcham
W.M. Thompson for S Gedge – 6 houses, Mitcham Park Estate

27 September 1899:
– Dell, J – 2 cottages King’s Road, Mitcham
– Cruwys, R – shop, London Road

12 October 1899:
Geo. Pitt – new road, Century Road & 22 cottages on same
– Mr Dalton – 4 houses (8 tenements) Robinson Road

26 October 1899:
GH Stephenson – 3 shops & 12 cottages Miles Road
– J Tuckett – 11 houses (each 6 flats), Park & Robinson Road

9 November 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – 18 houses Pitcairn rd.

14 December 1899:
– Moses & Carver – 6 houses Graham Road
– Fortescue & co. – 4 houses Marian road
– Mann, Crossman & Paulin – addition to Gladstone House, Mitcham

8 February 1900:
– G. Lawrence – 3 houses (4 tenements) Fortescue Road
– A. Dendy – 2 cottages Manor Farm, Upper Mitcham


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.