Tag Archives: Graham Road

Sapper Harold H. Taylor

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 29th September, 1944

Sapper Killed in France

Mitcham Newsagent for Fourteen Years

Sapper Harold H. Taylor (aged 41), of the Royal Engineers, who for fourteen years was a newsagent in London-road, Mitcham, was killed in action in France on September 10. His wife, who is living in Graham-road, received a letter from her husband written two days before his death.

Sapper Tayor joined the Army two years ago, and went to France about ten days after D-Day. He brought his family from Woodford to Mitcham fourteen years ago. There are four children.

His will gives his residence as 103 London Road, presumably above the newsagents shop.

Harold Henry TAYLOR of 103 London-road Mitcham Surrey died 10 September 1944 on war service. Administration Llandudno 30 January to Violet Grace May Taylor widow. Effects £173 16s. 9d.

Source: Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995

The 1939 Register shows four occupants at this address:
Harold H. Taylor, born 4th April 1903, newsagent shop keeper
Violet G.M. Taylor, born 29th May, 1903, housewife (surname changed to Spall 13th September 1948)
Violet G. Taylor, born 3rd April 1927, at school
Henry P. Taylor, born 8th April 1937, under school age

1953 OS map

1973 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library

This clip from 1973 shows the newsagents at 103 on the left, the bicycle shop is no. 105, and the pub on the right, the Gardeners Arms, is no. 107.

It was a newsagent until possibly the 1980s. In 2019 the building still exists, but is part of the solicitors Pruveneers LLP, at 103-105 London Road.

From the Commonwealth War Grave Commission

Sapper
TAYLOR, HAROLD HENRY

Service Number 14243886

Died 10/09/1944

Aged 41

Royal Engineers

Son of Henry Thomas Taylor and Mary Jane Taylor; husband of Violet Grace May Taylor, of Forest Gate, Essex.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Arthur Edmund Hayne

During World War 1, Arthur Hayne’s photographers shop in Tooting offered free portrait photos to recruits.

His obituary from the Mitcham and Colliers Wood Gazette 8th May 1959 :

Death of Mr. Arthur Hayne
Former Well-Known Tooting Personality

We regret to record the death of Mr. Arthur Hayne of Carshalton Park Road, Carshalton. A former Tootingite, Mr. Hayne who was 91 years of age was actively associated with politics all his life.

He was well known 50 years ago as an open air speaker at Tooting Broadway for the Anti-Socialist Union, and he also addressed meetings at Mitcham Fair Green.

The Three Brothers

Born at Croydon, Mr. Hayne came to Tooting at the age of eight with his brothers James and Charles, and was connected with them in business at Tooting Broadway in the early part of the century. Arthur had a photographers shop, and James was a well-known Tooting news agent while Charles sold the papers outside a kiosk near the Tooting Baths.

Mr. Arthur Hayne did not take an active part in the political life of Tooting. He went to school at the church schools in Church Lane and later at Tooting Graveney Schools and was a member of the Tooting Parish Church choir in his younger days.

He moved to Mitcham some years ago and become chairman of the Mitcham Conservative Association. A staunch Conservative Mr. Hayne was well-known as a public speaker for the Conservative cause to which he devoted much of his spare time up to a few years ago. During the First World War he was a special constable.

When he moved to Carshalton he joined the Carshalton and Banstead Conservative Association and become vice chairman. Until a few months ago Mr. Hayne who was in business in London as a merchant was still working. He leaves a wife (formerly Miss Attlee of Tooting), two sons and two daughters.

The funeral was at Carshalton Parish Church.

In 1914, A. E. Hayne is listed in company 1 of the Mitcham Town Guard.

In the 1915 street directory, he was living at St. Cross, Graham Road, where he was also listed as the secretary of the Mitcham Conservative & Unionist Association.

Fernlea Road

Road at south eastern end of Graham Avenue and Graham Road, connecting to Sandy Lane. Twelve houses at the southern end of the road were called Colwin and Leighton Cottages.

1952 OS Map

1952 OS Map

possibly 1927

World War 1 Connections

Private Harold Edgar Carter

Private George Francis Drewett

Lance Corporal Percy Herbert Sellers

Able Seaman Clarence John Wharton

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

H E BATEMAN of 83 Fernlea Road, aged 18 Years 1 Months, Coalboy. Conscripted on 11 January 1917 to the 22nd Training Reserve Batn.

Harold G CARTER of 3 Fernlea Road. Conscripted on 25 February 1918 to the Royal Fusiliers (53rd Ysb).

A S EDWARDS of 79 Fernlea Road, aged 18 Years, Baker. Conscripted on 8 November 1916 to the Norfolk Regiment (2/6th Batn).

A W ELLIS of Llanberris Fernlea Road, aged 26 Years 11 Months, Printer. Conscripted on 12 December 1916 to the Royal Sussex Regiment (1/6th Batn).

C E HOAD of Snowdon Cott Fernlea Road, aged 17 Years 11 Months, Labourer. Conscripted on 2 April 1917 to the 30th Training Reserve Batn.

W H KIRKHAM of 35 Fernlea Road, aged 21 Years 9 Months, Barman. Volunteered on 8 June 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment.

J MORLEY of 57 Fernlea Road, aged 21 Years 2 Months, Labourer. Volunteered on 6 December 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (3rd Batn).

H C PETLEY of 83 Fernlea Road, aged 39 Years, Etcher. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment (25th Batn).

A TOURLE of 27 Fernlea Road, aged 25 Years 8 Months, Confectioner. Conscripted on 14 January 1916 to the 5th Labour Corps (301st Labour Co).

A E TRUCKELL of 47 Fernlea Rd, aged 30 Years, Grinder. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Royal Garrison Artillery.

H TURNER of 67 Fernlea Road, aged 17 Years 11 Months, Engineer. Conscripted on 28 October 1916 to the 21st Training Reserve Batn.

G WEBB of 17 Fernlea Road, aged 20 Years 2 Months, Machinist. Volunteered on 9 November 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (11th Batn).

C F WELLER of 39 Fernlea Road, aged 18 Years, Sawyer. Conscripted on 21 June 1916 to the Royal Sussex Regiment (3rd Batn).


From the Military Service Tribunals:

Mitcham & Tooting Mercury, 30th November, 1917
Mitcham Tribunal

Mr A.W.C. Carter aged 41, married, Fernlea-road, Mitcham, a master builder, appealed on financial and business grounds. His staff consists of his young son, two discharged men and one man over 50 years of age. He was classified C1 and was a special constable. He has had total exemption so long as he resumed his present employment. He had seven children and a delicate wife. A certificate from the inspector of the Mitcham specials, stating that the applicant was very efficient in the discharge of his duties. Applicant said he did a great deal of sanitary work.

The Chairman : I suppose the position is as before? – Yes, sir.

Ald. Chart : About how many houses have you to attend to? – About a thousand, sir.

Three months’ exemption.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

The Willows

Demolished in the late 19th century and the roads Graham Road, Graham Avenue, Elmfield Avenue and Fernlea Road were built on this land.

Described by Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 2 North Mitcham, page 74, as having extensive stabling, farmery, meadows and gardens.

1865 OS map

1865 OS map

One of the developers of houses on the Willows Estate may have been Nott & Cartwright, as shown in the auction ad of 1899:

SALES BY AUCTION. THIS DAY.

NOTT – CARTWRIGHT.— Freeholds. 34 building plots. the Willows Estate, Mitcham i ; at the Falcon Hotel, Clapham Junction, at 7.

Source: London Evening Standard – Thursday 27 April 1899 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

In the 1900 electoral registers, owners were named of some of the lots on the Willows Estate:

Name Address Lot(s)
Frank Denyer 183 Clapham Park Road 11, 12, 13
Benjamin William Dale 130 Falcon Road, Battersea 36
James Dale 130 Falcon Road, Battersea 36
William Frederick Laing Mortimer House, Bond Road, Battersea 40

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Graham Road

Road off east side of Streatham Road, north of Lock’s Lane and south of Graham Avenue.

Built in the late 19th century on land previously occupied by The Willows, described by Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 2 North Mitcham, page 74, as having extensive stabling, farmery, meadows and gardens. The roads Graham Avenue, Elmfield Avenue and Fernlea Road were also built in this land. The address “Graham Road, Willows Estate” was used in this ad from 1900:

Mitcham (best part). – Pretty and conveniently arranged 6 – roomed houses; bath (h. and c.); good garden; within 10 minutes’ walk of Tooting Junction Station; good service of trains to Ludgate-hill and London-bridge; rent £24 per annum, or price (freehold) £350; £300 could remain on mortgage, repayable by easy instalments, which would amount to the same thing as paying rent.

Apply to Nott, Cartwright, and Etches, 13, The Parade, Tooting; 1, Bank Buildings, Balham; or to 39, Graham-road, Willows Estate, Mitcham.

1894 OS Map

1894 OS Map

1911-os-map-graham-road

1911 OS Map

In 1902, the road was made up, and charges to owners was based on the length of the frontage of their properties. This list is from the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council:

Volume 8
1902 to 1903
Mitcham Parochial
19th June 1902
page 200

The ‘number on plan’ isn’t a house number. The plan referred to isn’t available.

No. on plan Property Owner Frontage
1 House Sydney Moses 18 ft.
2 Three houses Charles Bell 54 ft.
3 Three houses Nott, Cartwright & Etches 54 ft.
4 Two houses Charles Bell 36 ft.
5 House Arthur Mansfield 18 ft.
6 House Charles Bell 18 ft.
7 House Charles Wheeler 18 ft.
8 House Alfred Edger 22 ft.
9 House Miss Annie Fawcett 18 ft.
10 House John Edwin Branch 18 ft.
11 Three houses Charles Bell 54 ft.
12 House Charles Remington 18 ft.
13 House Edward Duncan 18 ft.
14 Two houses Edward Charles 36 ft.
15 Eight houses Edward Cheeseman 134 ft. 6 ins.
16 Seven houses James Willers 121 ft. 6 ins.
17 House and land T.L. Laver 34 ft.
18 Land J. Mounter 24 ft.
19 Land Trustees of Lansbury 296 ft.
20 House and land F.L. Mizen 150 ft.
21 Land H.A. Chappell 188 ft.

The contract for making up the road went to tender, as listed in the council minutes of 18th September 1902, page 394:

Graham Road Tenders

The Council opened and considered the undermentioned tenders received for the making up, forming, kerbing, and metalling of Graham Road, Mitcham:-

Stockwell & Co., Bromley ……… £812 14s.
Adams, T., Wood Green, London …. £621
Free & Sons, Maidenhead ………. £540
Iles, E., Mitcham ……………. £495
Wheeler, W.H., Southwark, S.E. … £441 13s.

Resolved, That the tender of Mr. E. Iles, of Mitcham, be accepted, and that the necessary bond be entered into in accordance of conduct.


From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume IX 1903 – 1904
7th May 1903
page 71

No. 2481, Bennington, J.A., 3 houses, Graham Road, Mitcham


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.


The street directories of 1891 and 1915 list the occupants in the order encountered when walking from Figgs Marsh to Fernlea Road. The house names are in brackets.

1915

SOUTH SIDE

from Figg’s marsh

2 William James Dickisson (Trent House)
William Frederick Laing, auctioneer & estate agent (Trezamble)
James Dalton (Rose Bank)
George R. Waters (Sydmouth)
Andrew George Jones (Jessima)
James Knight (1 Graham villas)
Philip Musk (Rothesay)
John Davey (3 Graham villas)
Alfred Charles Firth (Dulmeney)
Samuel Weldon Myles (The Cottage)
Arthur E. Cooper (Lyndhurst)
12 Rev. Sydney Jackson [chaplain to Holborn Union workhouse & schools] (White Heather)
James Glover (Selby lodge)
Rowland Macbeth (Homeleigh)
Charles Stratton (Mayfair)
James Alfred Bennington (Eversley)
Edward E. Kelly glove cleaner (Melrose)
Alfred Thomas Green (Brambletye)
Thomas Harper (Stalheim)
Harry Wilson (Merok)
Henry Keen (Sundial)
Thomas Brandon (Viva villa)

NORTH SIDE

Alex. Cordier (Rosenheath)
Charles Jordan (Linacre)
Mrs Bishop (Bellefontaine)
Alexander Notman (Essen)
George H. Day (Aldwark)
Jesse Ray (Kimberley)
James Arthur Martin (Ivydeane)
Arthur Lewis Peake (Belmont)
Herbert Geogre Littleton (Claremont)
Joseph Geaney (Inisfail)
Frederick V. Whicher (Sherwood)
John Howard Feesey (Elmwood villa)
Walter Hudson Douglas (Roselea)
John Lewis Rooke (Thorstone)
Mrs Scales (St. Arvans)
William Luker (The Glen)
26 Richard James Glyde (Glenmore)
27 William Vickers (Crohamhurst)
28 William Driver (The Nest)
Edward Gurr (Sunnymeade)
Arthur Edward Hayne (St. Cross)
Mitcham Conservative & Unionist Association (Arthur Edward Hayne sec.) (St. Cross)
Henry Ailes Chappell (Oxwycke)

…. here is Fernlea Road ….


1891

NORTH SIDE

Miss Wilson (Montrose)
E. Hitchings (Trezamble)
H.S. Coldicott (The Cottage)
William Baker (Lyndhurst)
W.H. Wood (Oakleigh)
V. Roberts (Selby lodge)
Philip Marshal (Homeleigh)
John Forge (Brambletye)

SOUTH SIDE

50 Joseph Harbord
Dr. W.V. Kemshead (Avondale)
26 Hamilton Lawrence


First World War combatants 2nd Lt. Arthur Gordon Jackson, and his brother Lt Henry Stewart Jackson lived at White Heather, in Graham Road.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Colwin and Leighton Cottages

12 houses at southern end of Fernlea Road.

Described in 1925 street directory:

from Sandy Lane
no.s 1 to 95 odd
…here is Graham Road
…here is Graham Avenue
Colwin Cottages: no.s 1,2,3,4
Leighton Cottages: no.s 8 to 1 inclusive

From the 1911 commercial directory:

William Ernest Brown, shopkeeper, 4 Colwin cottages, Fernlea rd