Tag Archives: Graham Avenue

Fernlea Road

Road at south eastern end of Graham Avenue and Graham Road, connecting to Sandy Lane. Twelve houses at the southern end of the road were called Colwin and Leighton Cottages.

1952 OS Map

1952 OS Map

possibly 1927

World War 1 Connections

Private Harold Edgar Carter

Private George Francis Drewett

Lance Corporal Percy Herbert Sellers

Able Seaman Clarence John Wharton

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

H E BATEMAN of 83 Fernlea Road, aged 18 Years 1 Months, Coalboy. Conscripted on 11 January 1917 to the 22nd Training Reserve Batn.

Harold G CARTER of 3 Fernlea Road. Conscripted on 25 February 1918 to the Royal Fusiliers (53rd Ysb).

A S EDWARDS of 79 Fernlea Road, aged 18 Years, Baker. Conscripted on 8 November 1916 to the Norfolk Regiment (2/6th Batn).

A W ELLIS of Llanberris Fernlea Road, aged 26 Years 11 Months, Printer. Conscripted on 12 December 1916 to the Royal Sussex Regiment (1/6th Batn).

C E HOAD of Snowdon Cott Fernlea Road, aged 17 Years 11 Months, Labourer. Conscripted on 2 April 1917 to the 30th Training Reserve Batn.

W H KIRKHAM of 35 Fernlea Road, aged 21 Years 9 Months, Barman. Volunteered on 8 June 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment.

J MORLEY of 57 Fernlea Road, aged 21 Years 2 Months, Labourer. Volunteered on 6 December 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (3rd Batn).

H C PETLEY of 83 Fernlea Road, aged 39 Years, Etcher. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment (25th Batn).

A TOURLE of 27 Fernlea Road, aged 25 Years 8 Months, Confectioner. Conscripted on 14 January 1916 to the 5th Labour Corps (301st Labour Co).

A E TRUCKELL of 47 Fernlea Rd, aged 30 Years, Grinder. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Royal Garrison Artillery.

H TURNER of 67 Fernlea Road, aged 17 Years 11 Months, Engineer. Conscripted on 28 October 1916 to the 21st Training Reserve Batn.

G WEBB of 17 Fernlea Road, aged 20 Years 2 Months, Machinist. Volunteered on 9 November 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (11th Batn).

C F WELLER of 39 Fernlea Road, aged 18 Years, Sawyer. Conscripted on 21 June 1916 to the Royal Sussex Regiment (3rd Batn).


From the Military Service Tribunals:

Mitcham & Tooting Mercury, 30th November, 1917
Mitcham Tribunal

Mr A.W.C. Carter aged 41, married, Fernlea-road, Mitcham, a master builder, appealed on financial and business grounds. His staff consists of his young son, two discharged men and one man over 50 years of age. He was classified C1 and was a special constable. He has had total exemption so long as he resumed his present employment. He had seven children and a delicate wife. A certificate from the inspector of the Mitcham specials, stating that the applicant was very efficient in the discharge of his duties. Applicant said he did a great deal of sanitary work.

The Chairman : I suppose the position is as before? – Yes, sir.

Ald. Chart : About how many houses have you to attend to? – About a thousand, sir.

Three months’ exemption.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Multi-Spring, Ltd.

23 Streatham Road

Bedding and Upholstery Manufacturers


Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT


North of the corner with Graham Avenue, before Multi-spring, was the Cottage Laundry, of Mrs L. Munday?

Replaced by Halfords, possibly 1996 to 2016, when closed to be replaced by a Lidl.

The Willows

Demolished in the late 19th century and the roads Graham Road, Graham Avenue, Elmfield Avenue and Fernlea Road were built on this land.

Described by Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 2 North Mitcham, page 74, as having extensive stabling, farmery, meadows and gardens.

1865 OS map

1865 OS map

One of the developers of houses on the Willows Estate may have been Nott & Cartwright, as shown in the auction ad of 1899:

SALES BY AUCTION. THIS DAY.

NOTT – CARTWRIGHT.— Freeholds. 34 building plots. the Willows Estate, Mitcham i ; at the Falcon Hotel, Clapham Junction, at 7.

Source: London Evening Standard – Thursday 27 April 1899 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

In the 1900 electoral registers, owners were named of some of the lots on the Willows Estate:

Name Address Lot(s)
Frank Denyer 183 Clapham Park Road 11, 12, 13
Benjamin William Dale 130 Falcon Road, Battersea 36
James Dale 130 Falcon Road, Battersea 36
William Frederick Laing Mortimer House, Bond Road, Battersea 40

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Graham Avenue

Road off east side of Streatham Road, north of Graham Road.

1894-os-map-graham-avenue

Built in the late 19th century on land previously occupied by The Willows, described by Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 2 North Mitcham, page 74, as having

extensive stabling, farmery, meadows and gardens

. The roads Graham Road, Elmfield Avenue and Fernlea Road were also built in this land. The address “Graham Avenue, Willows Estate” was used in this auction ad from 1889:

Almost without reserve. Tooting Junction. Within a few minutes of the railway station and easy distance of Mitcham Junction, from whence there is an excellent service of trains to London Bridge, Ludgate Hill, or Victoria. For Occupation or Investment.

Messrs. FURZE ALDRIDGE Will Sell by Auction at the Mart, Tokenhouse Yard, E.C.. Tuesday, June 4th, Twelve for One o’clock, THE DETACHED FREEHOLD RESIDENCES situate and being Nos. 43 and 75, Graham Avenue, Willows Estate, Mitcham, near Tooting Junction, detached, double-fronted, and most conveniently planned on two floors only ; they occupy a choice position and are close to shops, &c. contain on first floor four bedrooms, bath room (hot and cold) water, w.c.; the ground floor dining room and elegant drawing room, 26-ft. long, large kitchen and scullery, and other domestic conveniences ; large garden front and rear; wide sideway. At present in hand, but of the estimated rental value of £50 per annum each. May be viewed by order of the Auctioneers. Particulars and conditions of sale obtained of Messrs. Heather Sons, Solicitors, 17, Paternoster Row, E.C.; and of the Auctioneers their Offices, Railway Bridge, High-road, Streatham, at Norwood Junction and Thornton Heath.

Source: Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 01 June 1889 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)


The 1915 street directory lists the occupants in the order encountered when walking from Figgs Marsh to Fernlea Road. The house names are in brackets.

SOUTH SIDE

from Figg’s marsh

Mrs Munday (Russellton)
Mrs Page (Glenfield)
Frederick George Taylor (Roseneath)
Clemence William Benger (Woodbine)
Alfred Shott (Edgemont)
William Court (Wardown)
Allan Reed (Woodside)

NORTH SIDE

William Frederick Wontner (Fairlawn)
James Henry Ellis (Melita)
Walter Wilson (Elm cottage)
Miss Marlow (Shirley)
John Gray (Homeland)
George Arthur Cramp (Mayville)
Miss Hunt (Oakdene)
Charles Kendall (Stoneleigh)
Ernest Charles Newton (Cyril villa)

… here is Elmfield Avenue

Frederick Moon (Lynton)
Frederick Holmesworth (Ashley)
John Newson (Sunnyside)
Thomas Gordon Richards (Cloveley)
Edward Hagon (Primrose)
Percy Babb (Pevensey)


The 1891 street directory:

from Figg’s marsh

NORTH SIDE

Mrs Freeman (Glenfield)
F.G. Taylor (Roseneath)

SOUTH SIDE

Charles Frderick Woodward (The Elms)
Mrs Noble (Fairlawn)

World War 1 Connections
Private Ernest Newsom

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Colwin and Leighton Cottages

12 houses at southern end of Fernlea Road.

Described in 1925 street directory:

from Sandy Lane
no.s 1 to 95 odd
…here is Graham Road
…here is Graham Avenue
Colwin Cottages: no.s 1,2,3,4
Leighton Cottages: no.s 8 to 1 inclusive

From the 1911 commercial directory:

William Ernest Brown, shopkeeper, 4 Colwin cottages, Fernlea rd