Tag Archives: 1987

Mitcham Building Society

Building society that was at number 173 London Road, CR4 2JB, on the corner with Downe Road.

According to the Building Societies Association Handbook (pdf), the Mitcham Building Society merged with the South Metropolitan Permanent in July 1977 to form the Mitcham & Metropolitan. It also had a branch at 38 Stafford Road, Wallington, SM6 9AA. Transfer was then made to the Sussex County in April 1986.

c. 1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​7_​1-93 copyright London Borough of Merton

Established 1883 according to this account book from 1970:

Account book with a start date of January 1970

Borris

Shop selling lingerie etc., was at 229 London Road, probably from 1954 as shown in the name of the company in this ad from that year:

1954 ad

The shop was there for at least 35 years, as it was listed in the 1989 list of shops and is shown in this clip from 1987:

c1987 – clip from Merton memories photo Mit_​8_​1-32 copyright London Borough of Merton

The Kentucky Fried Chicken shop next door at number 231 was later extended to include number 229.

69 Monarch Parade

On the left, no. 70, and on the right, no. 69 Monarch Parade. Photo taken after 69 has closed and was being refurbished.

It had been known as Palmers barbers from possibly the 1970s. In the 1971 phone book, C.F. Tucker is listed as gents hairdressers, telephone 01-648 6031.

clip from 1987 photo on Merton Memories, reference Mit_​8_​1-15 copyright London Borough of Merton

It was a barber shop up to May 2018, when the lease was terminated by Goldplaza (Mitcham) Ltd.

Notice of Forfeiture

Reopened August 2018 as a Nigerian restaurant.

Midland Bank branches

In the 1930 commercial directory, a branch was listed at 5 London Road, telephone number Streatham 2170, manager W. H. Bayford.

The branch at 241 London Road opened on 1st July, 1950, as shown in this announcement:

Norwood News – Friday 30 June 1950 Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

clip from c. 1987 photo Mit_​8_​1-29 on Merton Memories, copyright London Borough of Merton

As part of HSBC, this branch closed in 2015/6.

In March 2018 a halal butchers opened at this address.

Toytime

Toy shop in London Road, between Langdale Avenue and the telephone exchange.

Ad from The Mitcham Diary 1987 : TOYTIME
Toys & Plastic Kits
255 London Road
Tel: 01-640 3648

1987 clip from Merton Memories photo 28018, copyright London Borough of Merton.

1989 : Shops in the Parade

1989 list of shops in ‘The Parade’, the original name for the parade of shops now known as numbers 225 to 261 London Road.

from Fair Green to Langdale Avenue

Didico, chemists
J & P, off licence
Borris, ladies wear
Kentucky Fried Chicken, fast food
Hong Kong House, Chinese takeaway
Electrical Domestic Appliance Centre
Binneet, newsagents
Toullas, hairdressers
Midland Bank
Saviles Cycle Store
Walkers, fishmonger
Bamboo House, Chinese restaurant

from Langdale Avenue to the telephone exchange

Nationwide Anglia Building Society
Nino, hairdressers
Perfect Pizza, restaurant
Abba’s Fashions, ladies wear
Trattoria Romana, restaurant
John Lewis, opticians
Gresham Motors, garage

Merton Memories Photos taken around 1987

Didico, J & P, Borris, Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken, Hong Kong House, Electrical Domestic Appliance Centre, Binneet

Toullas, Midland Bank, Saviles Cycle Store, Walkers, Bamboo House

Nationwide Anglia Building Society, Nino, Toytime

Trattoria Romana, John Lewis, Gresham Motors

Notes
237 London Road was H.J. Chapman, newsagents in 1955, and in 2019 it is Shreeji News.

239 London Road was from 1952 until 1976, a ladies and gents hairdressing shop called “Shaw’s“, owned by Tom and Lily Shaw, which then became “Toulla’s. In 2016 the dentists ‘Simply Bright’ moved there from Fair Green Parade.

255 London Road – see Toytime for ad from 1987