The trees seen on the left in this photo are much smaller than the rest. Photo taken May, 2019
The three trees at the westernmost end of the green of Lower Green West were planted after the Storm of 1987 had felled the original trees.
The London Box Sash company, situated opposite the old fire station, helped clear the fallen trees using their own saws and other equipment. They didn’t charge the council for this service, instead it was agreed between the two that all the wood salvaged from the fallen trees could be used by the company. Some of this wood ended up as Mitcham Rakes.
A ‘Mitcham Rake’ made by the London Box Sash Company. Photo taken at their premises August 2018.
On the left, no. 70, and on the right, no. 69 Monarch Parade. Photo taken after 69 has closed and was being refurbished.
It had been known as Palmers barbers from possibly the 1970s. In the 1971 phone book, C.F. Tucker is listed as gents hairdressers, telephone 01-648 6031.
clip from 1987 photo on Merton Memories, reference Mit_8_1-15 copyright London Borough of Merton
It was a barber shop up to May 2018, when the lease was terminated by Goldplaza (Mitcham) Ltd.
Notice of Forfeiture
Reopened August 2018 as a Nigerian restaurant.
The Kings Arms pub, currently number 260 London Road, was rebuilt around 1900 in the ‘Tudor’ style. Number 258, was part of the pub and this clip from 1910 shows the sign “King’s Arms” on its north gable. This view is now obscured by the building numbered 256 and 254. It isn’t known when it became a separate shop.
1910 clip from Merton Memories photo 51745, copyright London Borough of Merton
This postcard, posted in October 1930, shows the shop as T.G. Brown, florists:
In the 1930 commercial directory, the name is given as Thomas George Brown:
Brown Thos. Geo. florist, 258 London rd. T N 3983
1989 clip from Merton Memories photo 27986, copyright London Borough of Merton
This photograph, taken 29th June 2018, shows it being used as a cafe:
Photo taken evening of 29th June, 2018
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.