Tag Archives: Cranmer

Coats of Arms

This is list of people who either came from Mitcham or had some connection to it, and had their own coat of arms.

Descriptions are from the Surrey History Centre, Surrey Coat of Arms.

BIDDER
BRERETON
CAESAR
CRANMER
ELLINGWORTH
FARRANT
FENTON
FITZWILLIAM
GREENE
HARRINGTON
HEATH
HELLARD
HUNTINGTON
HYGHLORD
ILLINGWORTH
MALLABY-DEELEY
OAKES
PONTIFEX
ROBINSON
ROTLAND
RUTLAND [ROUTHLAND]
RUTLAND
SHERMAN
SIMPSON
SMITH
STANLEY
STAPLES
THOMSON
THOROLD
WATNEY
WORSFOLD


BIDDER

George Parker Bidder, JP, QC, MA (Cantab), of Ravensbury Park, Mitcham, bencher and barrister-at-law, Lincoln’s Inn, (1836-96), was father of Lieutenant-Colonel Harold Francis Bidder, DSO, JP, MA (Cantab), FSA, of Ravensbury Manor, Mitcham, (b.1875), who had issue George Parker Bidder, (b.1920), and Alan Mortimer McClean Bidder, (b.1921).

Arms: Chequy Argent and Azure on a chief Sable a four-winged thunderbolt Or between two horseshoes of the first.

Crest: A sinister arm embowed vested Azure cuffed and charged on the sleeve with a saltire Argent the hand holding a scroll Proper.

Motto: Ne tentes aut perfice. (FD7)


BRERETON

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent two bars Sable, a crescent for difference.
Crest: A bear head erased Sable muzzled Or, charged with a crescent for difference.
As borne (SV1623) by Theophilus Brereton, (d.Dec 5, 1638), of Mitcham, son of Richard Brereton, 2nd son of Thomas Brereton of Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, 2nd son of Sir Randall Brereton of Malpas, Cheshire.


CAESAR

Sir Julius Caesar, Master of the Rolls, (1558-1636), acquired property at Mitcham by marriage, 1582, to Dorcas, widow of Richard Lusher, and daughter of Sir Richard Martin, Alderman of London and Master of the Mint, and entertained Queen Elizabeth I there 1598.
(DNB, VCHS iv 229)
Arms: Gules three roses Argent on a chief of the second as many roses of the first.
Crest: A dolphin embowed Proper in the sea Vert. (BGA)


CRANMER

Robert Cranmer, (d.1665), bought Mitcham Canons 1656. It descended in the family until the death, spm. 1801, of James
Cranmer; his daughter Esther Maria married Captain Richard Dixon, 85th Regiment, who assumed the name and arms of Cranmer.
Arms: Argent on a chevron Purpure between three pelicans Azure as many cinquefoils Or. (VCHS iv 231)
See also SIMPSON.


ELLINGWORTH

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent a fess flory counterflory between three escallops Sable. (BGA)


FARRANT

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent on a chief Gules two crosses patonce Vair, a crescent for difference.
Crest: A cubit arm erect vested Vair cuffed Argent, the hand Proper holding a battle-axe in bend sinister of the second, the sleeve
charged with a crescent for difference.
As borne (SV1623) by Richard Farrant of Mitcham, son of William Farrant, DCL


FENTON

Fairbairn records Ferrar Fenton, FRAS, FCAA of 8 King’s Road, Mitcham, as using for
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet an arm embowed in armour Or holding in the hand a sword Argent hilted of the first.
Motto: Mon hieur viendra. (FBC)


FITZWILLIAM

of Mitcham.

Arms: Lozengy Argent and Gules.
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet Or a triple plume of ostrich feathers Argent.
From the brass in Tooting Graveney Church to William FitzWilliam, (d.Jul 17, 1597), of Mitcham, and his wife, Elizabeth, (d.1582), daughter of .. Harrington. (SAC xxxiii 12)


GREENE

of Mitcham.

Baronet, Nov. 2, 1664. Extinct 1671.
Arms: Per pale Azure and Sable three bucks trippant Or.
Crest: A buck head couped Argent attired Or gorged with a coronet per pale Azure and Sable.
Granted by Bysshe, Clarenceux, to William Greene, Jan 6, 1663. (SAC iii 350)


HARRINGTON

The arms of Harrington are impaled by FitzWilliam, on a monument in Tooting Graveney Church; William FitzWilliam, of Mitcham, (d.1597), married Elizabeth, (d.1582), widow of William Dymoke, (d.1549), and daughter of Sir John Harrington * of Exton, Rutland, (d.1553).
Arms: Sable a fret Argent.
Crest: A lion’s head erased Or collared Gules buckled Gold.
* (VCHS iv 104) records [Sir] James Harrington, presumably Sir John’s son, as buying the manor of Tooting Graveney from Sir Edward Dymoke, 1593, and selling it, 1595, to Sir Henry Maynard.


HEATH

of Limpsfield.
Arms: Argent a cross raguly between twelve billets Gules.
As borne in 1623 by Robert Heath of Dartford, Kent, and Sir Robert Heath of Mitcham, grandsons of Robert Heath of Limpsfield, son of John Heath of Limpsfield. (MB ii 395) *
* Burke records the following for Heath of Brasted, Kent, and of Lyndsfield, (sic) and Tandridge.
Arms: Argent a cross engrailed between twelve billets Gules.
Crest: A wolf’s head erased per pale Sable and Or ducally gorged Argent holding in the mouth a broken spear of the second headed of the third. (BGA)


HELLARD

of Mitcham, also of Cornwall.
Arms: Sable a bend flory Argent. (BGA)


HUNTINGTON

David Charles Huntington of Oaktree Cottage, Wormley, (b.1938), elder son of Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Charles Huntington, MVO, Grenadier Guards, (1908-44), and descended from James Huntington of Mitcham, (1801-81).
Arms: Or on a pale between two roses Gules barbed and seeded Proper a lion rampant between two water bougets of the field.
Crest: Upon a mount Vert a lion’s head Or gorged with a collar Vair between roses barbed seeded leaved and stalked Proper.
Motto: In veritate Victoria. (BLG18)


HYGHLORD

alias HELLARD of Mitcham, also of Devon.
Arms: Sable a bend flory Argent.
Crest: A ship in full sail in a sea all Proper. (BGA)


ILLINGWORTH

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent a cross flory Gules between three escallops Sable.
From brasses in Mitcham Church to Richard Illingworth, (d.1511), and to Ralph Illingworth, (d.1572). (SAC xxx 94)

But at (SV1530), William Illingworth of Mitcham, is recorded, possibly in error, as bearing Argent a fess flory and counterflory Gules between three escallops Sable.

Crest. Burke gives for Illingworth, of Surrey: Within a crescent Argent a cock crowing Sable. (BGA)


MALLABY-DEELEY

Sir Harry Mallaby Mallaby-Deeley, 1st Bart., JP, MA, LL.M (Cantab), of Mitcham Court, (1863-1937), was created Baronet 1922. The title expired on the death, 1962, of his grandson Sir Anthony Meyrick Mallaby-Deeley, 3rd Bart., of Slater’s Oak, Effingham.

Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Sable a chevron engrailed Ermine between in chief two fleurs-de-lys and in base a crescent Or (Deeley); 2 and 3, Or a bunch of nettles Proper and a chief Sable (Mallaby).

Crests: 1, A sinister cubit arm in armour gauntleted holding in the hand a dagger point downwards Proper pommel and hilt Or between two spurs Gold (Deeley); 2, Issuant from clouds Proper a demi Pegasus Argent winged and charged on the shoulder with a fleur-de-lys Azure.

Motto: Quod Deus vult. (BP99)


OAKES

of Mitcham Hall, Bart.,

Arms: Argent on a chevron engrailed Sable between three sprigs of oak fructed Proper a cross of eight points of the field on a canton Gules a mullet of as many points within an increscent of the first.

Crest: Out of a mural crown Gules a buck’s head erased Proper gorged with a collar embattled counter-embattled Or.

Motto: Persevere. (BGA)


PONTIFEX

William Pontifex of Grove Lodge, Mitcham, later of Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, and of London, merchant, (1766-1851), had issue, a 2nd son William Pontifex of Chichester, {Sussex} and London, (1793-1870), who was father of, amongst others, William Pontifex of Denbighs, Haslemere, and of Chilworth Manor. Arms: Azure in base barry of four Argent and of the first a bridge of three arches embattled Proper and a chief of the second thereon two pallets between as many mullets of the field.

Crest: A tower Proper charged with a cross moline Azure surmounted by a rainbow also Proper.

Motto: In hoc signo vinces. (BFR; FD7)


ROBINSON

Major-General Sir Charles Walker Robinson, KCB, the Rifle Brigade, (1836-1924), 4th son of Sir John Beverley Robinson, 1 st Bart., of Beverley House, Toronto, (1791-1863), was at one time of Beverley House, Mitcham Common. The family formerly bore: Arms: Per chevron Vert and Azure on a chevron nebulé between three stags trippant Or an unicorn’s head couped between two cinquefoils of the first. Crest: A stag trippant Or semé of lozenges Azure and resting the dexter forefoot on a millrind Sable. Motto: Properè et providè. (BP58; FBC) The family now bears: Arms: Or on a chevron between three stags trippant Vert as many cinquefoils of the field. Crest: A stag trippant Vert bezanté. Motto: As above. {Properè et providè} (BP105; FD7)


ROTLAND

of Surrey.

Arms: Or on a fess between three boars’ heads erect and erased Gules as many spearheads of the first. Crest: A nag’s head Or erased per fess Gules maned of the last. (BGA) Burke also gives this crest for Rutland, or Roushland, of Mitcham, qv, as does Fairbairn. (FBC)


RUTLAND [ROUTHLAND]

of Mitcham.

Arms: Gules and inescutcheon Or all within a bordure of the second. Crest: A horse head Or, erased and maned Gules. * As borne by Nicholas Rutland, son of Nicholas Rutland, son of Francis Rutland, son of Nicholas Rutland of Mitcham, (d.1582), Clerk of the Catry, son of Francis Rutland, son of William Rutland of Canterbury, Kent, son of .. Rutland, alias Routhland of Essex. (Harl. Ms 1561, fo 54b) * Burke gives for Rutland, or Roushland, of Mitcham: Arms: Gules an orle engrailed on the inner side Or a bordure also engrailed of the last. Crest: A nag’s head Or erased per fess Gules maned of the last. (BGA)


RUTLAND

Frederick William Rutland, of Mitcham. Arms: Or an orle engrailed on the inner side Gules between eight estoiles in orle Azure. Crest: A horse’s head erased Sable semé of annulets Or in the mouth a branch of fern Proper. Motto: Post proelia proemia. (BGA)


SHERMAN

of Mitcham.

Arms: Or a lion rampant Sable between three holly leaves Vert a mullet for difference. Crest: A demi-lion rampant couped Sable holding in his dexter paw a sprig of holly Vert. From the monument in Mitcham Church to Bazaleel Sherman, (d.Aug 25, 1670), merchant of London. (MB ii 503)


SIMPSON

The Simpson family acquired Mitcham Canons by the marriage of William Simpson, of Lichfield, {Staffordshire}, to Emily, daughter of Captain Richard Dixon, post Cranmer, qv; William F J Simpson was Lord of the Manor in 1912. Arms: Per bend sinister Or and Sable a lion rampant counterchanged holding between the paws a gauntlet Azure. Crest: An ounce’s head Proper erased and ducally crowned Gules charged on the neck with a gauntlet Or. (VCHS iv 231; BGA)


SMITH

of Mitcham.

Arms: Argent on a chevron engrailed Azure between three greyhound heads erased Sable collared Gules as many estoiles Or. Crest: A stag head couped Gules attired Argent. * As borne (SV1623) by George and Thomas Smith, both of Mitcham, sons of Thomas Smith of Mitcham. * Burke gives this as: Arms: Argent on a chevron engrailed Azure between three greyhounds’ heads erased Sable collared Or ringed Gules as many estoiles (another mullets) of the fourth. Crest: A stag’s head erased Gules attired Argent. (BGA)


STANLEY

Earl of Derby. Sir Thomas Stanley, KG, Lord Stanley, (c.1405-59), acquired a share in the manor of Dorking by marriage to Joan, daughter and coheir of Sir Robert Goushill of Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire, by his wife Elizabeth, (d.1425), widow of Thomas Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, (d.1399), and daughter of Richard FitzAlan, Earl of Arundel, (executed 1397). His son Thomas, 1st Earl of Derby, (c 1435-1504), acquired half the manor of Reigate, which was sold in 1600 after the death, spm, 1594, of Ferdinando, 5th Earl of Derby. In 1759, Sir Edward Stanley, 5th Bart., 11th Earl of Derby, (1689-1776), acquired the lease of Lambert’s Oaks, Mitcham, which his grandson Edward, 12th Earl of Derby, (1752-1834), bought in 1788. * The 17th Earl of Derby was one of the principal landowners in Thursley in 1920. (VCHS iii 59, 144-6, 235-6, iv 247) Arms: Argent on a bend Azure three stags’ heads cabossed Or. Crest: On a chapeau Gules turned up Ermine an eagle wings extended Or preying on an infant in its cradle Proper swaddled Gules the cradle laced Gold. Supporters: Dexter, A griffin wings elevated; Sinister, A stag; both Or and each ducally collared with line reflexed over the back Azure. Motto: Sans changer. (BP105) * “He used the house as a hunting and racing box, and the famous sweepstakes whence the Derby and the Oaks originated were founded there”. (VCHS)


STAPLES

Roger Staples of The Close, Salisbury, {Wiltshire},(1694-1745), had issue, amongst others, an eldest son Roger Staples, JP, of Mitcham Hall, a London banker, (dsp. 1778), and a 2nd son Charles Staples of London, (b.1728), who was father of, amongst others, Moses William Staples, of Norwood, banker and alderman of London, (1762-1802). His son, Moses William Staples of Norwood, and of Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire, (1786-1864), married, 1811, Anne, daughter of the Rev. William Frederick Browne of Launton, Oxfordshire, and coheir of her brother Captain William Frederick Browne, of Launton and North Berwick. Their eldest son Richard Thomas Staples-Browne of Launton, (1814-55), assumed the additional name and arms of Browne on succeeding to Launton, 1842. Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Ermine on a bend Azure between two fleurs-de-lys Gules three leopards’ heads jessant-de-lys Or (Staples); 2 and 3, Sable a bend engrailed Ermine on a chief Argent an escallop Gules between two torteaux (Browne). Crests: 1, Out of a crown vallary Argent a lion’s head affronté Gules semé-de-lys and ducally crowned Or (Staples); 2, An eagle displayed sable wings fretty resting each claw on a mullet Or (Browne). Motto: Sans Dieu rien. (BLG5)


THOMSON

Fairbairn records W W Thomson of Hill Farm, Mitcham, as using for Crest: On a chapeaux Proper a sword in pale point upwards between two wings. (FBC)


THOROLD

Lieutenant-Colonel Hayford Douglas Thorold, CBE, West Riding Regiment, of East Clandon, (1861-1934), was son of Major-General Reginald Gother Thorold, RE, (1837-1928), and descended from Sir John Thorold, 9th Bart., (1734-1815), who was ancestor also of the Rev. John Robert Hayford Thorold, MA (Cantab), Vicar of Mitcham, (b.1916), elder son of the Rev. Ernest Hayford Thorold, CB, CBE, MA, DD (Oxon), (1879-1940), Chaplain of the Tower of London, 1931-38. Arms: Sable three goats salient Argent. Crest: A roebuck passant Argent attired Or. Motto: Cervus non servus. (BP105; FD7)


WATNEY

Daniel Watney of Wimbledon, (1705-80), was grandfather of Daniel Watney of Mitcham, (1771-1831), Master of the Mercers Company, 1816, who married, 1792, Mary, (d.1830), eldest daughter of James Galpin of Galpins, Mitcham, and sister and coheir of Captain James Galpin, 54th Regiment. Many of his descendants were Masters of the Mercers’ Company, including his eldest son Daniel Watney, (1799-1874); his 2nd son James Watney of Haling Park and Beddington, (1800-84), father of James Watney of Beddington, (1832-86), Master, 1879; and his 3rd son John Watney of Mitcham, (1804-75), father of Sir John Watney, JP, FSA, of Shermanbury House, Reigate, (1834-1923), Clerk of the Mercers’ Company, 1875-1906, whose 2nd son Stephen Cecil Watney of Chaldon Mead, Merstham, (1868-1954), was Master, 1920, and whose 3rd son Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Frank Dormay Watney, KCVO, CBE, TD, DL, of The Little Boltons and of Copleys, Reigate, (b.1870), was Clerk to the Company, 1919-40. Of the same family, Dendy Watney of Rothesay, Gower Road, Weybridge, (b.1865), was younger son of Daniel Watney of Ventnor, Isle of Wight, (b.1835). Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Azure a cross engrailed Ermine in the first and fourth quarters a dove Argent and in the second and third a garb Or (Watney); 2 and 3, Quarterly Argent and Or a cross fleuretté Gules in the first and fourth quarters a lion rampant of the last charged with three bars of the second (Galpin). Crest: On a mount Vert in front of a garb erect Or a greyhound courant Sable gorged with a collar therefrom pendent a bugle-horn Gold. Mottoes: Virtute et industria. (BLG18) Vive ut vivas. (FBC)


WORSFOLD

Sir Thomas Cato Worsfold, 1st and last Bart., DL, JP, MA, LL.D (TCD), of The Hall Place, Mitcham, solicitor, (d.1936), son of William Worsfold of The Hall Place, was MP for Mitcham, 1918-23, and was created Baronet, 1924. Arms: Argent on a mount Vert a beacon fired between three lambs Proper. Crest: Within a crown palisado Or a shepherd’s hound Proper. Motto: I watch the fold. (DPB1936)

Historical Rambles South London

HISTORICAL RAMBLES SOUTH LONDON: XV.
BY B. W. D.
MITCHAM.

The architect of the new church was G. Smith, Esq. The church, says Allen, “is a large structure, erected in the pointed style architecture, but not in the most correct taste.” There are but few objects in the building to interest an ordinary visitor. In the north aisle there a tablet to G. Tate, Esq., who died at the age of seventy-seven. Close to this is a monument, to memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Tate. It is the work of the celebrated Westmacott, and represents a female with cup. This lady also lived to a good old age, dying in her eighty-fifth year. At the west end is a tablet, with an urn, and a bassorelievo bust, to the memory of J. Hyde, Esq., who died Jan. 11, 1810, aged seventy. On the north side the entrance, there is a marble slab, to the Rev. S. D. .Myers, A.M., who filled the office of Wear for thirty-five years. He lived three years beyond ” three score years and ten,” and went the way of all flesh on September 17,1824.

On the outside of the church, beneath the great window, is arched recess, in which is a monument to Sir Ambrose Crowley, alderman of London (who appears in the Tatler, under the name of Humphrey Greenhat.) The monument consists of a bust (in basso-relievo) the deceased and his lady and boys. Besides the charities before mentioned, there are the following bequests, which were inscribed on tho front of the gallery in the old church :

donations to this parish.

Henry Smith, Esq., of London, by his declaration of charitable uses, dated Jan. 26, 1726, gave to the parish of Mitcham £4 per annum, payable out of the rent of estate at Bexhill in Sussex, which is laid out in great coats, and given every Christmas by the churchwardens to six pour house-keepers who not receive alms of the parish. ”

Thomas Plummer, Esq., by his last will, proved Jan. 25, 1639, gave to the parish of Mitcham £4 per annum, payable out of the rent of an estate in Basinghall-line, London, which is laid out bread, and given the church every Sunday morning by the churchwardens to the poor the parish. “Mrs EllenFisher, of Hammersmith, by his last will, dated April, 1709,gave to the parish of Mitcham £200, to be laid out in lands of inheritance, the rent thereof, being £14 per annum, payable from an estate at Lingfield in Surrey, is given every Whit Monday by the minister, churchwardens, and trustees, to 24 poor housekeepers who do not receive alms of the parish.

Mrs Rosamond Oxtoby, by her will, proved 1792, gave to the parish of Mitcham £2 12s. per annnum, payable from estate at Mitcham, to be laid out in bread, and distributed at the church every Sunday morning by the churchwardens to the poor of the parish.

The following sketch of one of the vicars of Mitcham Church, will found interesting, and is given in a foot note by Mr. Bray, in his history of the county : ” Anthony Sadler, son of Thomas” Sadler, of Chilton, in Wiltshire, was born in that county, entered St. Edmond’s Hall in the condition of a batler, in Lent term, 1627; admitted Bachelor of Arts, and in orders, An 1631, being then twenty-one years of age. Soon after became chaplain to an esquire of his name in Hertfordshire: and in„the beginning of the Civil Wars curate of Bishopstoke in Hampshire; afterwards chaplain to the Lady Letitia Paget, dowager; and at length being presented to living of Compton Hayway, in Dorsetshire wasrefused to pass by the Triers an. 1654; and thereupon no small trouble passed between him and them. Soon after he was made Vicar of Mitcham, in Surrey, where I find him in much trouble, anno 1664, (occasioned by Robert Cranmer, of London, merchant, an inhabitant of that place) and afterwards to be Doctor of Divinity, and Chaplain Extraordinary to his Majesty.He hath written and published ‘Inquisition Anglicana’, or the Disguise Discovered, showing the Proceedings of the Commissioners at Whitehall for theApprobation Ministers, &c., London, 1654, in three sheets in quarts. Several Sermons; as 1 Benedicti Valedictio; or the Remembrance of thy Friend ; being a farewell sermon preached at the house of Letitia Lady Paget, Dowager, deceased, on 2 Cor. xiii, 11. London, 1655, S vo. 2. Merey in a Miracle, showing the Deliverance and Duty of the King and People, on Matth. viii. 25, London 1661 4vo. It was preached at Mitcham in Surrey 28 June 1660, in a solemn congregation, for the restoration of his Majesty to his royal throne, This is preceded by the loyall Mourner, in an Elegy written in 1648; printed and presented and dedicate in two dedications, the King on his restoration, 1660. A Divine Masque, London, 1660, 4to, dedicated to the Lord General Monke. In 1664 he published ‘Strange News indeed, from Mitcham in Surrey of the Treacherous and Barbarous Proceedings of the Robert Cranmer, merchant of London, against Anthony Sadler, Vicar of Mitcham, &c. London 1664′ in one sheet in 4 to. In this pamphlet Mr. Cranmer is accused of many cruel and unjust persecutions of the vicar, particularly of throwing him into prison, and inducing him, under false pretences, give a bond for £500. An answer soon appeared, intituled ‘The Saddler Saddled;’ being vindication of Mrs. Cranmer, who had presented Saddler to the vicarage then worth only £10 per annum. He had not been long settled before he instituted a suit against his patron for dilapidations and sacrilege, and his behaviour rendered himself odious to his parishioners. At length terms were settled, one of which was that Saddler should resign the vicarage, and gave a bond for that purpose. He died 1680 or thereabouts, leaving then behind him the character of a man of a rambling head and a turbulent spirit.” For these notes, Mr. Bray proclaims his indebtedness to the late. John Brand, Secretary to the Society of Antiquaries.