Tag Archives: Siviour

6 to 12 Church Road

Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk


1974 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

A terrace of 4 houses on the north side of Church Road where it meets Lower Green West, and east of present day Morland Close. In this 1954 OS map, numbers 6 and 8 can be seen on the group of houses just west of a timber yard.

1954 OS map

Before 1915, this part of Church Road was called Church Street. This letter from 1901, was addressed to Miss Siviour, Church Street, but didnt show the house number. It is assumed that this was number 6 as shown in later directories.

envelope of letter addressed to Miss Sivour in 1901 (from the Facebook Mitcham History Group)

letter addressed to Miss Sivour in 1901 (from the Facebook Mitcham History Group)

The occupants in the 1925 street directory were:

6, Mrs SIVIOUR
8, George SIMMONS
10, Mrs HILLIARD
12, Edwin Ashley BOWER

World War 1 Connections
Private Walter Hampton Siviour


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.