From the 1932 Medical Officer’s Report
The Woodlands Maternity Home, Devonshire Road, Collier’s Wood, was established by the Council in 1924.
During the year several improvements have taken place. A new Terrazzo floor has been put down in the labour ward, surgeons’ basins have been installed in the wards on the ground floor, and a new high pressure steriliser has been purchased. The interior of the Home has also been redecorated.
From the 1938 Medical Officer’s Report
The staff consists of a matron, two sisters, two staff nurses and three pupil midwives. All the staff are State registered nurses and, with the exception of the pupil midwives, hold the certificate of the Central Midwives’ Board. The Home is recognised as a Part II. training school for midwives.
The Home can accommodate 15 patients at a time, but bookings are limited to 26 patients per month.
Opened on 1st August 1924. Source: Mitcham Urban District Council minutes, 24th July, 1924, page 230, volume 10.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.