From the minutes of the Allotments Committee
2nd April 1958
5. The Canons: Use of Grounds.
The Town Clerk submitted an application from the Mitcham May Festival Society for the free use of the grounds of The Canons on Saturday, 26th April, 1958, for the purpose of holding a rehearsal of the crowning of the May Queen ceremony.
Resolved, That the free use of the grounds be granted.
Source: Minutes & Reports of the Corporation of Mitcham, Volume 24 1957-58, page 773
Merton Memories has a photo of the crowning of the May Queen in 1958.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.