Two terraces of houses, on the east side of Western Road, near to and north of the corner with Bond Road.
Council minutes in 1902 refer to a planning permission for six houses, which could be for Stanley Villas:
No. 2116, Simmons E. & A., 6 cottages, Western Road Road, Mitcham
Source: Croydon Rural District Council Minutes, Volume VIII 1902 – 1903, 22nd May 1902, page 112.
It’s possible that E. & A. Simmons were Ephraim and Arthur, brothers who were nurserymen, see Rose Nursery.
This 1911 OS map shows 6 houses on the left which are likely to be Stanley Villas, and the next group of 4, Duncan Cottages. The house on its own at the corner with Bond Road (opposite Fountain Place) was Grosvenor House.
The 1911 census shows the occupants:
1, Thomas JONES, 44, labourer in gas works
2, Edith MASON, 42, of private means
3, William PARKIN, 62, leather dresser
4, Michael O’SULLIVAN, 53, carman and contractor
5, William PAYNE, 64, gardener
6, John William KIMPTON, 40, wheelwright
1, Albert E. BLAND, 29, gas fitter at Mitcham Gas co.
2, George JANSON, 46, gardener & contractor
3, John DRAPER, 35, foreman in tea warehouse
4, Thomas HERMITAGE, 34, furnace stoker in Holborn Union Workhouse
The 1925 street directory shows an extra two houses have been added to Duncan Cottages. The houses were numbered in the directory, going south, 6 to 1 Stanley Villas and then 1 to 6 Duncan Cottages:
6, John Henry KIMPTON
5, Albert NEWELL
4, Michael SULLIVAN
3, Mrs LOCKYER
2, George ALWYN
1, Thomas JONES
1, John TILLEY, cycle maker
2, John LAWRENCE
3, John DRAPER
4, James DAVIS
5, William John DAVIS
6, Sidney Harry COLEMAN
The 1952 OS map shows that the houses have been renumbered as part of Western Road.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.