Tag Archives: 1788

Lambert’s Oaks

18th century house, in Mitcham according to this entry in the Surrey Coats of Arms at the Surrey History Centre:

In 1759, Sir Edward Stanley, 5th Baronet and 11th Earl of Derby, (1689-1776), acquired the lease of Lambert’s Oaks, Mitcham, which his grandson Edward, 12th Earl of Derby, (1752-1834), bought in 1788.

He used the house as a hunting and racing box, and the famous sweepstakes whence the Derby and the Oaks originated were founded there.