Tag Archives: watchmaker

F.W. Jackson, jewellers

Jewellers shop that was at 157 Streatham Road, on the south side of the corner with Elmhurst Avenue.

1950 OS map

1938 ad

Text of ad:

It will pay you to visit

F.W.JACKSON’S

for

rings, jewellery, watches
clocks, cutlery, china
decorative glass, pottery
and silverware

Specialists in
watch and clock repairs

Highest prices given for old gold

All Estimates Free. Send us a post card and we will call

157 Streatham Road, Mitcham
(Corner of Elmhurst Avenue)

Listed in the 1938 directory as Frederick William Jackson, watch repairer, no telephone number.

The 1938 Official Guide to Mitcham said:

The name of F.W. Jackson, the Mitcham Jeweller and Watchmaker of 157 Streatham Road, has established itself in almost every household in Mitcham. After serving an apprenticeship in Clerkenwell – the hive of clock and watchmaking – young Will Jackson travelled north as far as Manchester and attached himself to high-class retail houses to gain experience. Returning to London he soon gained a reputation as a keen buyer and connoisseur of antiques in London sale rooms. Premises were opened in Streatham Road, and within two years the trade had so increased that larger and more commodius premises were secured at 157 Streatham Road (corner of Elmhurst Avenue). Here you will find him surrounded by a most attractive array of stock worthy of any West End jeweller. Mr Jackson claims his success was due to close supervision of all works entrusted to him.

The 1939 Register shows Frederick W Jackson living at this address as having a date of birth of 28th December 1912, and occupation as watchmaker and jeweller.

In 2019, the shop is a convenience store.

Comments from the Mitcham History Group on Facebook:

Became a wool shop in later years.

Mouland, Watchmaker

James Mouland, watch maker, was listed in ‘Upper Mitcham Green’ in the 1855 trade directory.

This clip from Merton Memories shows part of the name ‘Mouland’ on the side of a shop in what was called the High Street.

Clip from Merton Memories. Copyright London Borough of Merton.

Clip from Merton Memories. Copyright London Borough of Merton.

In 1886, G. Walton Mouland, of 19 High Street, Mitcham, acted as auctioneers for a property in Chilton Place.

Listed in the 1902 commercial directory at 15 London Road, Upper Mitcham, was Mouland & Bennett, watchmakers.

News Articles

1891 : summonsed for keeping an unlicensed cart