No.s 2 to 20, Church Path
Locally listed by Merton Council in December 1992:
This is a terrace of 10 two storey houses, which date from the mid 1860s. The
architectural style is very plain and simple, the main feature being the round
headed arches over the front doorways. The materials used include yellow
stock brick, with a slate roof. The design of the terrace does not relate closely
to that of other buildings in the vicinity, but in itself it does have some group
value. The main features of interest are the round headed door arches, and
the townscape value of the terrace, which frames the view to the Parish
Church to the north. All of the houses have suffered some form of insensitive
alteration, this includes re roofing using inappropriate materials (?),
replacement of the original wooden sash windows with unsuitable designs and
or framing materials, and replacing the front doors. Two of the houses also
have the masonry painted over.
When built in the 1860s a bronze Saxon bowl was found
Source Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, by E N Montague pages 3 and 50.
World War 1 Connections
From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:
F H THICK of 10 Johns Place, Church Road, Mitcham, aged 40 Years 7 Months, Handyman. Conscripted on 15 June 1917 to the 5th Labour Corps (301st Labour Co).