Tag Archives: terraces

Phipps Terrace

A terrace of 28 houses that was south of Palestine Grove and north of the Merton Abbey Iron Works, to the west off of Church Road. The terrace didn’t have its own road.

1921 aerial view looking north

1921 aerial view looking north

Occupants in 1925:

  1. Henry Greening
  2. William Wadmore
  3. Clarence Weston
  4. Frederick Harrington
  5. Frederick Hamilton
  6. William Richard Blake
  7. William Rowland
  8. Alfred Kent
  9. Hugh Thomas Church
  10. Horace Furlonger
  11. William Henry Taylor
  12. Henry James Sedgwick
  13. Alfred Harwood
  14. William John Dewar
  15. Charles Marshall
  16. William Edgington
  17. Frederick Willmott
  18. Sidney Poulton
  19. George Catlin
  20. Henry Sharp
  21. Frederick Eaton
  22. William Faulkner
  23. Albert Ernest Hockley
  24. James Varnham
  25. Mrs Sparkes
  26. Thomas Brown
  27. Frederick Edwards
  28. Henry Poulton

World War 1 Connections

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

W ROWLAND of 7 Phipps Terrace, Church Road, aged 31 Years 11 Months, Carpenter. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 9 December 1915 to the Royal Engineers.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Prussia Place

Terrace of houses at end of Nursery Road. Demolished as part of a slum clearance scheme, that was announced in 1962. The actual date of demolition is not known. As is pointed out in a comment below, there are still entries in the 1965 electoral register for Prussia Place.

1937 Aerial photo

1937 Aerial photo – Prussia Place is the row of houses top left, with long gardens to the right

In 1925 the occupants were:

  1. Mrs Devoy
  2. Ernest Arthur Finch
  3. Arthur Rands
  4. Arthur Skillings
  5. Herbert C. Mackey
  6. Percy Green
  7. George Boyce
  8. Horace Deane
  9. Henry Rayner
  10. James Matthews
  11. Arthur Sheppard
  12. Mrs Palmer
  13. Mrs Whitbread
  14. William Wade

In the Nursery Cottages:

  1. Albert French
  2. Mrs Davidson

On the west side of the road was Porto Motor Co. (motor engineers)


Morning Chronicle – Tuesday 15 February 1820

Freeholds, Mitcham, Surrey, with Votes for the County.
– By Mr. BURRELL, at Garraway’s, on Tuesday, 23d instant, at twelve, in twelve Lots.

A valuable freehold estate, called Prussia-Place, situate at the back of the School of Industry, at Lower Mitcham; comprising a row of 12 neat substantial brick houses, containing four rooms each, with gardens in the front and back, now in the several occupations of Messrs. Franklin, Kitchen, Buckle, Hayward, Croucher, Foster, Savage, Dalton, Hughes, Willett, Mitcheson, and Hodges, at rents amounting to £120 per annum.

– May be viewed ten days preceding the sale, when particulars may be had at the Buck’s Head, Mitcham; the King’s Head and White Hart Inns, Lower Mitcham; at Garraway’s; and of Mr. Burrell, Throgmorton-street.

Keen’s Terrace

Church Road. Was originally called Allen’s Terrace, but on 20th January 1903, was renamed Keen’s Terrace to avoid confusion with Allen’s Cottages.

Which is odd because the 1901 census shows Keen’s Terrace in Church Road.

At numbers 1 and 2 are William and Sarah Ann Drewett, beer retailers. This is what was later known as the Wheatsheaf.

Chilton Place

In 1952, a terrace of 7 houses on Church Road, it no longer exists. It was on the corner with what is now called Liberty Avenue.

1885 auction notice for five brick-built freehold cottages known as Chilton-Place, Church-Lane, Mitcham:


To Land Speculators, Builders, Building Societies, Investors, and others. Upwards of acres of valuable Building Land, immediately ripe and available for building. Also Five Freehold Cottages, all let, and producing £52 per annum.

Messrs. Rogers, chapman, and THOMAS are instructed to SELL by AUCTION, in lots, at the Mart, Tokenhouse Yard, City, E.C., on Tuesday, May 12. at p.m. precisely, FIVE brick-built FREEHOLD COTTAGES, known Chilton – place, Church-lane, Mitcham; all let, and producing £52 per annum.

Also 20 Plots of Freehold Building Land, situate at Mitcham, close to four railway stations on the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway, the church and Common, and ripe for building.

Particulars, plans, and conditions of sale at the White Hart Hotel, Lower Mitcham; of Messrs. Champion, Robinson, and Poole, 17, Ironmonger-lane, E.C.; and of the Auctioneers, No. 78, Gloucester-road, South Kensington, 50, Belgrave – road, S.W., and 8, Wetherby Terrace, Earl’s Court.

Source: South London Press – Saturday 02 May 1885 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

In 1886 a house and shop was auctioned :

To Small Capitalists.

—First Class Investment.

Chilton Place, Church Road, Mitcham.

Mr. G. WALTON MOULAND Has received instructions to Sell Public Auction, the White Hart Hotel, Lower Mitcham, on Wednesday, March 3rd, at Six for Seven o’clock, THE Valuable and substantially built FREEHOLD DWELLING-HOUSE and SHOP adjoining the Albion Beerhouse, Church Road, Mitcham situated on the high road from Mitcham Merton, and one minute’s walk from Merton Abbey Railway Station. property is at present in hand, but would immediately let at £25 per annum. Particulars conditions of sale, may obtained from Messrs. Drummond, Robinson, & Till, Solicitors, Croydon; at the place of sale; and of the Auctioneer, 19, High Street, Mitcham.

Source: Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 27 February 1886 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)


1865 OS map

1865 OS map

1911 OS map - the pub on the right was the Prince of Wales; and the 'club' was the Singlegate Club.

1911 OS map – the pub on the right was the Prince of Wales; and the ‘club’ was the Singlegate Club.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Occupants in the 1896 street directory

4,William RUDER
6,George BLAKE
7,Henry MASON

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Grove Terrace

A row of small shops with living accommodation above between Laings Corner and the Windmill pub on the east side of London Road, south of Figges Marsh.

The 1914 Street Directory has numbering from 1 to 10, north to south:
1914 Street Directory has numbering from 1 to 10, north to south:

  1. Mrs Ethel Grist, toy and china dealer
  2. Frederick Ayling, greengrocer
  3. Alfred William Berry, confectioner
  4. Telephone Call Office and George A. Stoffell, hair dresser
  5. Mrs H. Cook, confectioner
  6. William Lewis, hardware stores
  7. Mrs J. Ball
  8. George Wheeler
  9. John McKay, boot maker
  10. George Usher

The 1915 street directory shows Fred CANNON, cycle dealer at number 1.

1908? photo of F Cannon cycle shop

In this 1951 OS Map, only 6 of the original 10 are standing.

1953 aerial photo from Britain From Above

1953 aerial photo from Britain From Above