3rd January 1885
The New Police Station.
This establishment was opened on New Year’s Day for the occupation of the inspectors, sergeants, and the single members of the Mitcham police force; as well as for the safe custody of any prisoners whose unfortunate lot it may be to be conveyed thereto. The police station stands on the site of the ancient dilapidated building formerly used for the transaction of police business at Mitcham. It has a neat and modest appearance, and is built of red brick, with stone facings. The entrance door is made of oak, which is reached by small flight of stone steps. On entering a well fitted and arranged office for the inspector is situated on the left, while to the right is the waiting room. To the front of these two rooms is the charge room, and in close proximity to this are the cells, well ventilated, and fitted up with all the latest improvements and conveniences allowed prisoners.
On the first floor in the front of the building of quarters for one married Sergeant, who will, as a matter of course, live on the premises with his wife and family. The quarters consist of two commodious bedrooms, kitchen with cooking range, and other useful appliances, pantry, and wash house with plate racks, shelves, sinks, with water connection. Every regard to comfort and health seems to have been paid and construction of these rooms.
At the rear of the building is the section house on the ground floor for the accommodation of six single constables who will in future live and sleep on the premises instead of lodging different parts of the parish as heretofore. The section house comprises a day-room with library, clothes-room, boot cleaning room with a small locker for each man’s brushes. The dormitory contains six bedrooms, fitted up with hot and cold water baths, is in the top storey of this portion of the building which forms one of the most complete, comfortable, and well arranged police stations in the county.
The builders were Messrs. Lathey Bros., Battersea, and the work was completed in March of last year.
Source: Croydon Advertiser, 3rd January 1885
Occupants of station on Electoral Registers
Charles Barnes, Alfred Bunfield, William Carter, George Clay, William Marjetts, Percy Price, David Thomas