Margarine factory that was in Mortimer Road from 1932 to 1965.
According to Eric Montague’s Mitcham Histories : 14 Upper Mitcham and Western Road, page 93, the factory was built on the site of the Holborn Union Workhouse Gas Works.
NEW BRITISH FACTORY
— A factory and 175 acres of ground near Mitcham, Surrey, has been bought by the Dutch margarine firm of Benninga. A British company will he founded with a capital of £50,000, and It is expected that production will begin in the autumn. The factory will have a producing capacity of 200 to 300 tons a week.
Benninga was a Dutch company that set up factories in Hull and Mitcham to avoid import tariffs.
1965 Winding Up
BENNINGA (MITCHAM) LIMITED
At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Members of the above-named Company, duly convened and held at 20 Cannon Street, London E.C.4, on the 12th day of August 1965, the following Special Resolution was duly passed ; ” That the Company be wound up voluntarily, and that Mr. Peter Ewen, of 17 St. Helen’s Place, London E.C.3, and Mr. Stanley Shaw, of 13 Wood-cote Close, Kingston, Surrey, be and they are hereby appointed Liquidators of the Company for the purposes of such winding-up.”
A. J. Penfold, Secretary.
This ad from 1938 introduces the brands VITSU and LARDEX:
It also refers to the works as the BENNINGA SUNSHINE FACTORY.
Text of ad:
Ask your Grocer for
THE BEST THAT MONEY CAN BUY
B.B.M. & WAYSIDE
GREEN CIRCLE DRIPPING
VITSU SHREDDED SUET
Are manufactured by:
BENNINGA (MITCHAM) LTD.
(Incorporating Juvit Ltd.)
MITCHAM — SURREY
MITcham 3061 (7 lines)
Established 29 years — good for a century
BBM was Butter Blended Margarine