7 and 8 Langdale Parade, Upper Green East, Mitcham CR4 2YS
The premises for the post office were obtained in 1958, although it didn’t open until 1961, as explained in the news article below.
From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 6th January, 1961, page 1.
GPO explain post office mystery
THE G.P.O. explained this week the mystery Of Mitcham’s Langdale Parade post office—taken over in September, 1958, but still not open for business.
They blame the delay on capital expenditure restrictions. And they promise that “open” notices should go up at the end of this year.
It took Mitcham’s M.P. (Mr. Robert Carr) to solve the mystery. After reading about the unopened post office in the News on December 9 he wrote to the G.P.O. for an explanation.
Part of the reply was: “You probably know that the present Mitcham Post Office, sorting office and telephone exchange are housed in a building in London Road.
“The accommodation on the ground floor is inadequate for our postal needs and, unfortunately, site limitations prevent us from effecting improvements unless we remove some of the work done there at present.
“In May, 1957, we were offered accommodation in a new block of shops to be erected by a private firm of developers in Langdale Parade. We saw an opportunity of overcoming our difficulties by transferring the Post Office counter to the premises on offer.
“We knew at the time that owing to restrictions on capital expenditure, there was no immediate prospect of opening a post office on the Langdale Parade premises, but if we declined the offer we foresaw difficulty in acquiring suitable premises later.
” We therefore decided to accept, and the premises were leased for a term of 21 years from September, 1958, at the annual rental of £1,170 reduced to £400 per annum for the first three years or until the post office is opened for business, whichever is the earlier.”
Cost of the new post office — about £12,550. Fitting out should begin in March.
A photo from 1960 is on Merton Memories of the inside of the post office.
The land on which the parade of shops called Langdale Parade were built was bought in 1957 by Secunda Properties (Mitcham) Ltd from the Trustees of the Methodist Church at Mitcham. The church had been destroyed by bombing in the Second World War and was not rebuilt. This map from 1933 shows it occupied the site now known as Langdale Parade, with its car park at the back.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Pingback: Mitcham Post Offices | Mitcham History Notes