Tag Archives: 1929

Percy Mayhew

Confectioners, newsagents and stationers, from early 20th century to possibly the late 1960s.

A number of postcards of scenes in Mitcham have his name on them, such as this undated one of London Road.

‘Mayhew’ in bottom left hand corner.

This photo of Preshaw Crescent has ‘Mayhew Mitcham’ on the left and ‘2721 Johns’ on the right, who might have been the photographer.

Preshaw Crescent

This photo of the Blue Houses has ‘Percy Mayhew’ on the left.

Ravensbury Arms and the Blue Houses

There is a collection on Merton Memories.


In the 1919 electoral register, Daisy Maud and Percy Mayhew are listed at number 8, The Parade. In the 1925 street directory, listed as a confectioner at number 4 The Parade, which was renumbered as 231.

Listed in the 1929 Where to shop in Mitcham advert as at 239 and 231 London Road.

This ad, possibly from 1935, shows 237 – 239 London Road:

This ad from 1947 has the Monarch Parade address and refers to the previous address of 237 – 239 London Road.

1947 ad

In the programme for the 1952 Sports and Shopping Week his shop is listed as having contributed a pen and pencil set, worth 13s. 11d., as a prize in the lucky programme number competition. The address of the shop then was 72 Monarch Parade. The shop can just be seen on the right of Davant Ltd (the furniture shop at number 73), in this 1950 Tuck postcard:

1950 Tuck postcard

Listed in the 1954 telephone directory as newsagent, tobacconist, 72 Monarch Parade, London Road, MIT 2478.

Listed in the 1967 edition of the Mitcham Chamber of Commerce Yearbook, but not in the 1969 edition.

St Marks Church Vicarage House

Vicarage for St Marks church, on the corner of Carew Road and Locks Lane,
although address is Locks Lane, CR4 2JX.

1952 os map

Planning application number 1586 was submitted by the Diocese of Southwark to build a vicarage in Carew Road. Source: Mitcham UDC minutes, page 196, volume XV, 1929-1930.

MITCHAM VICARAGE HOUSE

Progress is being made with regard to the building of the Vicarage House for St. Mark’s Church, Mitcham. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have £2,404 in hand for this purpose, and £40 17s. 5d. lies in Barclay’s Bank.

In order to meet expenses, £2,000 is required. Mr. Stanley Dale, of Mitcham, has been selected as the building contractor. The plans of the Vicarage House are at present with the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for their final approval.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 12th July, 1929, page 1.

The website for St Marks church gives the vicars address here.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.