Tag Archives: 1963

Mitcham Tyre Mart

Tyres etc. service since 1934.

Listed as 408 London Road in the 1952 Chamber of Commerce, the 1971 telephone directory and shown in this ad from 1963:

ad from Mitcham and District Advertiser, 3rd January, 1963.

Proprietor A. PAYNE

Receipt from 1975:

Receipt dated 11th November 1975. Proprietors The Payne family

According to the MGM Services website:

When the owners retired around 2013 the premises of Mitcham Tyre Mart at 339 London Road, CR4 4BE, were taken over by MGM.

Screenshot of MGM Services website, dated 2013, in case it is taken down.

See also MGM Automobile Engineer

Manor House

Demolished in 1963, it was on the east side of the London Road, north of Baron Grove. Eric Montague in Mitcham Histories: 4 Lower Mitcham wrote: “Its exterior was predominantly ‘Georgian’ in style … commonly believed to be nearly 300 years old when demolished …”.

clip from Merton Memories, copyright Dorrett & Co., image reference Mit_Buildings_24-3

1953 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.