Tag Archives: 1989

Mitchell, Rush and Co., 235 London Road

1962 ad

Text of ad:

MITCHELL, RUSH & CO.

ELECTRICAL ENGINEEERS & CONTRACTORS

Office & Showroom

235 LONDON ROAD, MITCHAM,
SURREY.
TEL. MIT 4754

HEATING & LIGHTING INSTALLATIONS

ALL ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
EVERY KNOWN MAKE REPAIRED
EVERYTHING FOR THE HANDYMAN
ELECTRICIAN

In 1989, this address was the Electrical Domestic Appliance Centre.

H.J. Chapman, 237 London Road

Newsagents that was at 237 London Road, opposite Raleigh Gardens. In 1989 this shop was Binneet, also a newsagent, which can just be seen on the right of a photo from Merton Memories. In 2019 it is a newsagent called Shreeji News.

1955 ad

Text of ad:

Telephone: MITcham 4709

H.J. CHAPMAN

Confectioner
Stationer – Tobacconist

GREETINGS CARDS
FOR ALL OCCASIONS

237 LONDON RD., MITCHAM

In this 1962 ad, it is called James Chapman:

1962 ad

Text of ad:

JAMES CHAPMAN

MITCHAM’S LEADING STATIONERS
GREETINGS CARDS
for all OCCASIONS

OFFICES & FACTORIES SUPPLIED

CONFECTIONERS

TOBACCONIST

237 LONDON ROAD, MITCHAM
Telephone : MITcham 4709

In a similar 1963 ad, the name has changed to V.P. Major & Co., and
in a similar 1964 ad the shop has changed its name to Mitcham Cards (late Chapman’s) with the proprietor R. Gordon.

Mitcham (Electrical) Spares

Electrical spares shop that dealt with part for vacuum cleaners, and washing machines etc., at 169 London Road, between the library and Downe Road.

Clip of photo on Merton Memories from around 1987. Photo reference Mitcham_7_1-94, copyright London Borough of Merton

1989 receipt for vacuum cleaner bought from Mitcham (Electrical) Spares

Borris

Shop selling lingerie etc., was at 229 London Road, probably from 1954 as shown in the name of the company in this ad from that year:

1954 ad

The shop was there for at least 35 years, as it was listed in the 1989 list of shops and is shown in this clip from 1987:

c1987 – clip from Merton memories photo Mit_​8_​1-32 copyright London Borough of Merton

The Kentucky Fried Chicken shop next door at number 231 was later extended to include number 229.

Gardeners Arms Pub Sign

The Gardeners Arms pub, 107 London Road, Mitcham, had a heraldic style sign hanging from a post in the centre of the wall on the upper floor. In November 2017, the sign couldn’t be found by the new landlord.

There are three photographs on Merton Memories, and none show a sign attached, for example, this one from 1989:

Clip from Merton Memories photo Mit_21_11-2 copyright London Borough of Merton.

This undated black an white photo shows flower baskets hanging from the wall:

Clip from Merton Memories photo Mit_21_11-1 copyright London Borough of Merton.

The late Eric Montague, of the Merton Historical Society, took a slide of 109 & 111 London Road in 1966, and this included the pub, which has no sign.

A 1973 photo on the Collage collection also doesn’t show the sign:

1973

The only photograph found so far showing the sign is from Google Street View, from 2008:-

The sign is blurred when zooming in, but what can be seen is shield with a blue background, a white chevron with two objects above and three or more below. The shield has two supporters, one of which may be a gardener. The Surrey Coats of Arms, online at the Surrey History centre website, have been searched for Mitcham arms, and none of these have a field of blue with a white chevron.

Street View of 2012 shows no sign:

2012

Walker, fishmonger, 247 London Road

1953 OS Map

1953 OS Map

1987 clip from Merton Memories photo 32500

1987 clip from Merton Memories photo 32500

1952

1952 ad: For best supplies of QUALITY Fish in Mitcham come to 247 London Road, Mitcham ’Phone: MITcham 4743

FRESH SUPPLIES DAILY AT KEENEST PRICES FISH DISPLAYED UNDER HYGIENIC CONDITIONS

Any fish cleaned and filleted by request
Our Motto: “ Quality, Cleanliness & Civility ”

Listed in the 1989 list of shops in The Parade.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1989 : Shops in the Parade

1989 list of shops in ‘The Parade’, the original name for the parade of shops now known as numbers 225 to 261 London Road.

from Fair Green to Langdale Avenue

Didico, chemists
J & P, off licence
Borris, ladies wear
Kentucky Fried Chicken, fast food
Hong Kong House, Chinese takeaway
Electrical Domestic Appliance Centre
Binneet, newsagents
Toullas, hairdressers
Midland Bank
Saviles Cycle Store
Walkers, fishmonger
Bamboo House, Chinese restaurant

from Langdale Avenue to the telephone exchange

Nationwide Anglia Building Society
Nino, hairdressers
Perfect Pizza, restaurant
Abba’s Fashions, ladies wear
Trattoria Romana, restaurant
John Lewis, opticians
Gresham Motors, garage

Merton Memories Photos taken around 1987

Didico, J & P, Borris, Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken, Hong Kong House, Electrical Domestic Appliance Centre, Binneet

Toullas, Midland Bank, Saviles Cycle Store, Walkers, Bamboo House

Nationwide Anglia Building Society, Nino, Toytime

Trattoria Romana, John Lewis, Gresham Motors

Notes
237 London Road was H.J. Chapman, newsagents in 1955, and in 2019 it is Shreeji News.

239 London Road was from 1952 until 1976, a ladies and gents hairdressing shop called “Shaw’s“, owned by Tom and Lily Shaw, which then became “Toulla’s. In 2016 the dentists ‘Simply Bright’ moved there from Fair Green Parade.

255 London Road – see Toytime for ad from 1987