Tag Archives: 2002

Millars Motors (Mitcham) Ltd.

363 and 365 London Road

1953 OS map

1953 OS map

Listed in the 1938 commercial directory as motor cycle dealers, 365 London Road, telephone number 0829. Not shown in the 1930 commercial directory.

In 1954 phone book as Millars Motors (Mitcham) Ltd., Motor dealers, 363 London Road, telephone MITcham 0829.

Listed in the 1963 Borough of Mitcham List of Factories as Motor Vehicle Repairs, Sidecars.


This letterhead shows the outline of the building.

undated letterhead

undated letterhead

This clip from Merton Memories shows the left hand side of the building where ’36’ can be seen which matches the ‘363’ on the letterhead.

clip from 1938 photo of tree in garage next to Millars Motors building at 363 London Road, from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​18-1


Note that the description on Merton Memories says that this site was used by Kwik Fit and is now vacant, but that is incorrect. Across the London Road at Allen Bros. is where Kwik Fit was the last occupier.


Adverts

22nd September 1939 ad from Croydon Advertiser

1982 ad from Mitcham Diary

1955 Stationery

District Stockist
Agents for
A.J.S.
ARIEL
B.S.A.
COVENTRY
EAGLE
DOUGLAS
ENFIELD
EXCELSIOR
JAMES
MATCHLESS
MORRIS
NORMAN
NORTON
PANTHER
SUNBEAM
TRIUMPH
VELOCETTE
VINCENT H.R.D.

Sidecars:
NOXAL
SWALLOW
WATSONIAN
Part Exchanges
a
SPECIALITY
Insurances Arranged


The site at 359, 363 and 365 were built on around 2002 by Green Acre Homes (South East) Ltd whose planning application, no. 02/P0208, was for

Erection of a 3 storey building fronting London Road and comprising 3 x 2 and 6 x 1 bed flats and a 2 – storey building fronting Baron Grove and comprising 4 x 1 bed flats with associated car parking (the proposal involves demolition of all existing buildings on site)

Merton Council haven’t put online any documents for planning applications before 2005, so no other details are known.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.