Tag Archives: Douglas House

Douglas House

The block of shops and flats called Abinger House, north of Bucks Head Parade, was built in the 1930s on the site of Douglas House. According to Eric Montague in Mitcham Histories 14, page 11, this was a ‘detached brick built house tenanted until 1888 by the Reverend Robert Richman, pastor of the Zion Congregational Chapel in Western Road.

1933 clip from Merton Memories photo 302638, copyright London Borough of Merton. Douglas House can be seen to the left of Buck’s Head Parade.