Tag Archives: Miles Road

Simmonds Cottages

Listed in the 1925 street directory as a terrace of 3 houses on the south side of Miles Lane (later Miles Road), east of the parish churchyard and west of Edmund Road. The houses were numbered east to west as 1,2,3:

1, Charles Bunce
2, A.F. North, boot repairer
2, Edward North
3, William Henry North

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

The cottages were demolished, sometime before 1953 as the OS map for that year shows that the varnish factory of RJ Hamer occupies the site. After the paint factory closed, the site was used for various car repair workshops. In 2007, the site was redeveloped for housing as Venus Mews.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

R.A. Stephen & Co., Ltd.

120/126 Lavender Avenue

Instrument Makers
Light Engineers

As listed in the 1963 Borough of Mitcham List of Factories.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT

Ad from 1973 gives address as Miles Road:

WOMEN REQUIRED
FOR
MACHINE & ASSEMBLY WORK
40 hr. week. Starting at £17.30, plus time keeping bonus.
Long service pay. Canteen facilities. Sick pay.
R. A. STEPHEN & CO. LTD., Miles Road, Mitcham, Surrey.
Telephone: 01-648-1668.