Houses from north to south, between Aspen Gardens and Arneys Lane, off the west side of Carshalton Road, south of Mitcham Junction.
They were built in 1923/4, possibly by Joseph Owen. The houses south of Arneys Lane to the junction with Goat Road, were originally called Tramway Terrace, and were built earlier than 1894.
R.M. Chart valued the completed houses and loans were made by the Mitcham Urban District Council to purchasers under the Small Dwellings Acquisition Act, 1899.
|No.||Borrower||Property Value £||Loan £|
Source: Volume IX, Mitcham UDC Minutes, Finance and General Purposes Committee, 1924.
Note that JORDON may be a typo, and probably should be JORDAN.
The name possibly came from the nearby Rumbold Farm, as shown on this 1866 OS map.
The 1924 electoral registers gives occupants for numbers 12 to 22.
12, Agnes HALE and Thomas Hargrave YATES
13, Alexander Forrester and Caroline Sophia FERGUS
14, Sidney Arthur and Lily STOLLS
15, Sidney Randolph and Grace Kathleen SELF
16, Victor BARNBY
17, John Reginald GASK
19, Sidney Kenneth BUTTON
22, Edmond Frank and Kate JENNER
In the 1925 electoral register, the names Rumbold Villas and Tramway Terrace have been dropped.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.