William Frederick Laing was District Council Chairman in 1921 and Laing’s Corner is named after him. He was also a JP.
He founded a company of estate agents called Seymour Laing and Co. in 1930 which had offices at no. 6 Laing’s Corner, Billiter Street, London and also in Horley.
Source : page 5 of Mitcham Histories: 14 Upper Mitcham and Western Road by EN Montague