Pub that was at 413 Church Road, on corner with Liberty Avenue, originally part of Chilton Place.
Phone number in 1971 telephone directory was 01-648 3390.
Although not shown as a pub on 1895 map, it was listed in the 1891 street directory. The 1952 maps shows that it occupied two houses, 411 (not numbered) and 413.
Landlords from street directories, and electoral registers
1891 : John Bains JEFFERY
1896 & 1898 : Henry BARKER
1904 & 1915 : Edwin James JONES
1925 : Hovel William PLEASANTS
1939 : George and Constance Gladys BRAND
These clips are from Merton Memories photos, with permission from the Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Links to Merton Memories Photos
Note that Watney Combe Reid and Co. Ltd bought Mann, Crossman and Paulin Ltd (Albion Brewery, Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, London) in 1958 and changed its name to Watney Mann Ltd. See National Archives.
News stories that refer to the Albion
Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 13 February 1886
He Made No Fuss About it
—At the Croydon County Petty Sessions, on Saturday, Newton John Jeffery, living at the Albion beerhouse, Mitcham, was summoned by Mary Ann Thoms, single woman, living at Aberdeen-road, Mitcham, to show cause why he should not contribute towards the support of her illegitimate child.
—The complainant having deposed to giving birth to female child of which the defendant was the father, defendant admitted that the complainant was right in her statement, and stated that was willing pay 4s. week towards the child’s support.
—The Chairman observed that the defendant was behaving very straightforward manner, and the Bench made order for the payment of the amount mentioned, and 23s. costs.
From the Mitcham & Tooting Mercury, 5th January 1917, page 4
Jones. January 2nd, at Brighton, Edwin James Jones, of “The Albion,” Merton Abbey, age 43 years. Funeral on Monday, at Brighton, 3pm.