Corner of Bramcote Avenue and Cricket Green (southside).
Mock Tudor style building, early 20th century.
The land was registered as two titles SGL605939, being the building and car park at number 70 Cricket Green; and SGL105754, being number 72 Cricket Green.
Both were registered in May 1999 to SHEPHERD NEAME LIMITED (Co. Regn. No. 138256) of 17 Court Street, Faversham, Kent ME13 7AX.
These were sold on 12th July 2016 for £775,000 plus £139,500 VAT to DELROSE DEVELOPMENTS LIMITED (Co. Regn. No. 07697345) care of Lawrence Smith & Co, Parkway House, Sheen Lane, London SW14 8LS.
It is assumed that both titles have been combined as one, listed as ‘The Queens Head’, i.e. with ‘Public House’ removed.
Before Shepherd Neame, the owner assumed is to have been Punch Taverns, who bought all of Charrington pubs in 1997.
The Archivist-Historian for Shepherd Neame was contacted for any further information, such as when the pub was built, and this was his reply:
Alas, as Shepherd Neame had this pub for such a short time we have absolutely no records nor deeds with which to help you.
Planning application 17/P0253 for conversion of existing public house (class A4) into residential (class C3) to create 7 x self-contained flats including the erection of 2 storey side extensions approved on 25th July, 2017.
Local Newspaper Articles Index
|Death of Mrs W. A. Leney||Mitcham News & Mercury||24/1/1958||9|
|Royal Swap||Mitcham News & Mercury||23/10/1981||60|
|Businessmen meet at Queens Head||Mitcham Herald||17/10/1990||4|
Name was “Queen’s Beer Shop” and occupants were:
|Name||Relationship||Marital Status||Age||Year of Birth||Gender||Occupation||Town of Birth||County of Birth|
|William KIRBY||Head||Married||43||1838||Male||Master Blacksmith||Northampton||Northamptonshire|
Name was the “Queen Victoria” and occupants were:
|Name||Relationship||Gender||Age||Year of Birth||Town||County|
Licenced Victuallers’ Records
Licensed as a Beer House for On and Off sales
Owner was A.C.S & H. Crowley, Croydon
Licensee was William WEBB
Licensed before 1869 and as a Beer House for On and Off sales
Poor Rate Assessment of £45
Owner was A.C.S & H. Crowley, Croydon to which it was tied
Licensee was Charles Allen BANCE
Refreshments other than Intoxicants were Bread and Cheese
There was no accommodation for sleeping
Stabling provided for 3 horses
Sanitary facilities provided were a urinal and w.c.
Ordinary class trade
Occupants from Directories
1930 Street Directory : Poole & Leney, beer retailers
Hoare’s Brewery bought Crowley of Croydon in 1919
and Charrington bought Hoare’s in 1933, see Breweries taken over by Charringtons.
Merton Memories Photos
Photos from Shepherd Neame website