Tag Archives: 2018

258 London Road

The Kings Arms pub, currently number 260 London Road, was rebuilt around 1900 in the ‘Tudor’ style. Number 258, was part of the pub and this clip from 1910 shows the sign “King’s Arms” on its north gable. This view is now obscured by the building numbered 256 and 254. It isn’t known when it became a separate shop.

1910 clip from Merton Memories photo 51745, copyright London Borough of Merton

This postcard, posted in October 1930, shows the shop as T.G. Brown, florists:

In the 1930 commercial directory, the name is given as Thomas George Brown:

Brown Thos. Geo. florist, 258 London rd. T N 3983

1950 ad

1989 clip from Merton Memories photo 27986, copyright London Borough of Merton

This photograph, taken 29th June 2018, shows it being used as a cafe:

Photo taken evening of 29th June, 2018


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.