Tag Archives: 1900

Commonside West

Road from Upper Green East towards the junction with Madeira Road. Buildings are on one side only, as the other side is Three Kings Piece, which is a part of Mitcham Common. An exception being the sports changing rooms opposite Madeira Road.

Houses are numbered sequentially, from 1 (Newton House) to 72, which is part of the News of the World Houses. Between the Cold Blows footpath and the entrance to Park Places is currently only the Windmill pub and Merton Sea Cadets, but there were houses near the pub. Numbers 51 and 52 were demolished in 1967.

c.1900 : Newton House on the right in this clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​2_​10-9 copyright London Borough of Merton

Occupants from Street Directories
Listed below in order from the Upper Green towards Madeira Road. The beer retailer referred to in these listings is for the Windmill pub.

1896
This directory lists the road as Mitcham Common (west side), and Cold Blows is shown as St Mary’s Avenue, which was a temporary renaming of that footpath.

John RICHENS (Newton House)
William WILLIAMSON (Holly Cottage)
Mrs SAHLER (Maori Cottage)
Christopher ROBINSON (The Lawn)
William BARNES, engineer
Mrs Lilian IRLAND, music teacher
Mrs DREWETT senior
Thomas GARDNER, furniture dealer

…. here is St Mary’s Avenue

Thomas Bodle LAWRENCE (Avenue Cottage)
James BROOKSON
James SAYERS, beer retailer
Charles GOULD
George SAWYER
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1904

John RICHENS (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
William James DICKISSON (Trent Cottage)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
William BARNES, engineer
Thomas LAWSON, shopkeeper
Alfred GARDNER, furniture dealer

PILLAR LETTER BOX

…. here is Cold Blows

Thomas LAWRENCE
Miss SHEPHERD
Alexander Tully GRANT, beer retailer
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1911

Mrs RICHENS (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
William James DICKISSON (Trent Cottage)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
William Howard BARNES, confectioner
William BARNES, engineer
Thomas LAWSON, shopkeeper
Alfred GARDNER, furniture dealer

LAMP POST LETTER BOX

…. here is Cold Blows

Thomas LAWRENCE, decorator
Miss SHEPHERD
Henry Edward CLISBY, beer retailer
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1915

Mrs RICHENS (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
Ernest Frederick GOERING (The Nook)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
Mrs TURNER (Meriden)
Frank JAMES (Allesley)
William Howard BARNES, confectioner
William BARNES, engineer
George Frederick LOCKYER
Alfred E. GARDNER, furniture dealer

LAMP POST LETTER BOX

…. here is Cold Blows

Thomas LAWRENCE, decorator
James JORDAN
James BOXALL, beer retailer
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1925
Note that Cold Blows is not named as such, but is shown as ‘footpath to Lower Green’ i.e. the cricket green

Thomas George BAKER, builder (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
Alfred DREWITT (Fernhurst)
Mrs TURNER (Meriden)
Henry Willam ORFORD (Allesley)
William H. BARNES (Malvern)
William BARNES
George Frederick LOCKYER (The Cottage)
Alfred Ernest GARDNER, furniture dealer (Homeside)

.. footpath to Lower green ..

George Oliver NASH (North Lodge)
Lawrence Thomas BODLE, builder (Avenue Cottage)
James JORDAN
Alfred KILLICK
Harry LOCK
George WEST
Benjamin HILLS
Thomas HIGGS, confectioner
James BOXALL, beer retailer
Charles Thomas SEARS
George SAWYER
Mrs ODELL
John THOMPSON, dairy
William Charles HINES
News of the World Sports Ground (Leonard WHITE, hon. sec.) (Park Place)

In the 1938 commercial directory, T.G. BAKER is listed as builder at no. 1 Commonside West, telephone number 2915.

1936 clip from Tom Francis photo of Albert Ernest Gardner’s furniture stores, from Merton Memories phot reference Mit_​2_​10-11 copyright London Borough of Merton.

In the 1912 directory, Alfd. E. Gardner, Common side west, is listed as a manager of the Zion Congregational School.

Mitcham Post Offices

Eric Montague said in his book Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 107, that Mitcham’s post office had occupied 5 locations, as listed below:

1st : at Westhall’s grocery shop in the Broadway

The 1855 directory shows the postal services available:

It lists Joseph WESTALL as grocer and cheesemonger as well as the post office receiving house in Lower Mitcham.

2nd : in a small shop near Mitcham Station

This photo from 1895 shows part of the words ‘Post Office’ above the shop.

clip from Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_Public_Services_18-2, copyright London Borough of Merton

3rd : a purpose built building in the Broadway

The words ‘Post Office’ can be seen etched in the windows on the building on the right in this photo of around 1910:

clip from Meton Memories, photo reference Mit_streets_Lon_38-25, copyright London Borough of Merton

According to Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 4 Lower Mitcham, pages 127-8, this post office was

erected in about 1900 … a three-storeyed building … its rather fussy facade including false timber framing to simulate an Elizabethan structure.”

4th : Post Office and Telephone Exchange building on the corner of London Road and Elmwood Road

Built around 1920, shown here in this 1953 photo:

clip from Merton Memories photo, reference Mit_Streets_Lon_38-46, copyright London Borough of Merton

5th : Langdale Parade

In 1961 the post office moved to Langdale Parade in the Fair Green. The telephone exchange building remains.

Currently, in 2019, the Langdale Parade post office has moved to a smaller shop nearby at number 5:

Post Office at no. 5 Langdale Parade. Photo taken 23rd April 2019

258 London Road

The Kings Arms pub, currently number 260 London Road, was rebuilt around 1900 in the ‘Tudor’ style. Number 258, was part of the pub and this clip from 1910 shows the sign “King’s Arms” on its north gable. This view is now obscured by the building numbered 256 and 254. It isn’t known when it became a separate shop.

1910 clip from Merton Memories photo 51745, copyright London Borough of Merton

This postcard, posted in October 1930, shows the shop as T.G. Brown, florists:

In the 1930 commercial directory, the name is given as Thomas George Brown:

Brown Thos. Geo. florist, 258 London rd. T N 3983

1950 ad

1989 clip from Merton Memories photo 27986, copyright London Borough of Merton

This photograph, taken 29th June 2018, shows it being used as a cafe:

Photo taken evening of 29th June, 2018


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Tramway Terrace

Tramway Terrace was the name of 30 houses, south of Arney’s Lane, and north of Goat Road. They were numbered from 1 to 30 going from south to north.

In the 1925 street directory, the houses had been renumbered as part of Carshalton Road, going north to south as 24 to 53 inclusive.

Bing Birdseye view

Bing Birdseye view

1894 OS map

1894 OS map

Occupants

1915
3, George HART
4, Alfred George HALLIDAY
5, William Henry NEWTON
6, William Joseph JOHNSON
8, Arthur HENN
9, Frederick HURFORD
10, John DIXON
11, Reginald ABRAHAM
13, Arthur ANDREWS
14, Henry Edward ELVERSTON
18, Charles William NEWELL
19, John Childs TICEHURST
20, Thomas YATES
21, Benjamin MARSHALL
22, Robert BARKWELL
23, Thomas Henry BAND junior
24, George BARTLETT
25, Edgar John LAVERS
26, William BECKLEY
27, Vincent TAYLOR (insurance agent)
29, Frederick LORD
30, Harry SANDERS

World War 1 Connections
Private Frank Henn


Newspapers

From the Church Times, 29th June, 1900, page 755 :

Wanted situation as gardener. Orchid culture a speciality. Married. Communicant. Good Churchman. Bass voice for choir. Good reader and soloist. Excellent references.

Basso, 27 Tramway Terrace, Mitcham Junction, Surrey.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Radstock

House in Cedars Avenue until 1950s/60s when demolished and Imperial Gardens developed.

1950 OS Map

1950 OS Map

Occupants from directories
1898 : Rev. W.M.C. McALLISTER
1905 : Rev. William Marcus Coglan McALLISTER (Electoral Register)
1915 : Benjamin GREEN
1925 : Ernest Frank RICHARDSON

Newspapers

From the Church Times, 2nd November, 1900, page 486 :

Wanted nurse, lady or ordinary, to three little girls in a clergyman’s family. Little washing, nurseries. State remuneration, which must be moderate. Mrs McAllister, Radstock, Mitcham, Surrey.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

CAMWAL

CAMWAL name formed from

Chemists’
Aerated
Mineral
Water
Association
Ltd.

Originally Chemists’ Aerated and Mineral Waters Association Limited, of group of chemists established and incorporated in 1878. By 1895 had factories in London, Bristol, Harrogate and Mitcham. Acquired by Barclay Perkins and Company Limited 1954.

London Metropolitan Archives
ACC/2305/03
Camwal Limited, Gifford Street, Caledonian Road, London

18950322 New Factory1895 New Factory

18950322 Pure Mineral Waters

18950322 Table Waters

Merton Memories Photos

1911
Ravenspring building 1
Ravenspring building 2


From Grace’s Guide – 1914 Who’s Who in Business

CAMWAL, Ltd., Mineral Water Manufacturers, 112, Pembroke Street, Caledonian Road, London, N.; and at Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Harrogate, and Mitcham.
Hours of Business: Varying according to time of year.
Established in 1878 as the Chemists’ Aerated and Mineral Water Association, Ltd.
Reconstructed in 1900 under the name of Camwal, Ltd.
Directors: Hayward M. Davenport (Chairman), Horace Davenport , Harry Kemp, Frank A. Gould.
Secretary: H. T. Butler, F.C.I.S.
General Manager: F. G. Pixie.
Specialities: Dry Ginger Ale and Stone Ginger Beer. A special Natural Water.
Inventions: Syphon Holders and Drip Catchers.
Branches: Harrogate; Manchester; Birmingham; Bristol; Mitcham, Surrey.
Connection: United Kingdom.
Telephones: (London) No. 547 North; (Manchester) No. 3761 Central; (Birmingham) East 15; (Bristol) No. 212; (Harrogate) No. 243; (Mitcham) No. 1221 Wimbledon.
Telegraphic Addresses: ” Camwal,” London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Harrogate, or Mitcham.

Newspaper Articles

Daily Express, 26th November, 1900

— Camwal. Limited — the Chemists’ Aerated Mineral Waters Association, Limited—have issued a report to September 30, which is doleful reading when compared with the past history of this enterprise. The days when the old company used to pay 12 per cent. 20 per cent. seem to have quite disappeared for the moment. Expenses are high, and during the past year circumstances have been adverse in every way. But same comfort may be drawn from the fact that the reconstruction expenses have been cleared. As only £506 is being carried forward, it seems scarcely wise of the directors to distribute a dividend et the rate of 5 per cent per annum for the eight months.

Building Plans Approved 19th Century

From Croydon Rural District Authority Minutes

4 April 1895:
– additions to Killick’s Lane Board School

16 May 1895 plans approved:
– coach house & stable, Baron Row, Mitcham Dr. Ferrier Clarke

11 July 1895:
– stable, Lock’s Lane E. Thumwood

22 August 1895:
Messrs Mizen, Eastfields, to erect two cottages at Manor Farm, Westfields

17 October 1895:
– Messrs Typke & King to build a lab at the Crowned Chemical Works, Mitcham
– Mr JD Drewett to erect two cottages in Killick’s Road

10 June 1897:
Warehouse at Phipps’ Bridge road by Harland & son

10 June 1897:
10 houses in Graham rd by Mr HJ Vile of 4 Crieff Rd, Wandsworth

8 July 1897:
– Mr G Pitt of Mitcham to erect a cottage in Church rd Mitcham
– Mr J Burges, Norman rd, Merton to erect a butler’s pantry at the “Cedars”, Mitcham

21 October 1897:
– Mr JM Pitt of Mitcham to erect four houses Gladstone rd, Mitcham

4 November 1897:
E. Pearce of 264 Brixton rd, to erect stable & coach house at Graham rd, Mitcham

6 January 1898:
Mr CF Woodward of Graham avenue to erect four cottages in Church rd., Mitcham

20 January 1898:
RA Bush, Hall Place, Mitcham to erect four pairs semi-detached villas in Church street, Mitcham

17 March 1898:
Perry & Reid of 9 John Street, Adelphi for erection of new public house “Buck’s Head”, Mitcham

20 April 1899:
Chapman, FC houses Fortescue Road
Mitcham & Cheam Brewery co. – offices, Lower Mitcham

14 May 1899
New road at Miles Road, Mitcham was approved in November 1898 at 36ft wide, but bye-laws had since changed to 40ft; committee decided not to insist on wider width as plans were approved before the change.

25 May 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – six houses Pitcairn rd.
J. Wilson – 37 houses Gorringe Park, Mitcham

13 July 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – 14 houses Pitcairn rd.

27 July 1899:
Chapman, FC – 2 houses Fortescue Road, Mitcham
W.M. Thompson for S Gedge – 6 houses, Mitcham Park Estate

27 September 1899:
– Dell, J – 2 cottages King’s Road, Mitcham
– Cruwys, R – shop, London Road

12 October 1899:
Geo. Pitt – new road, Century Road & 22 cottages on same
– Mr Dalton – 4 houses (8 tenements) Robinson Road

26 October 1899:
GH Stephenson – 3 shops & 12 cottages Miles Road
– J Tuckett – 11 houses (each 6 flats), Park & Robinson Road

9 November 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – 18 houses Pitcairn rd.

14 December 1899:
– Moses & Carver – 6 houses Graham Road
– Fortescue & co. – 4 houses Marian road
– Mann, Crossman & Paulin – addition to Gladstone House, Mitcham

8 February 1900:
– G. Lawrence – 3 houses (4 tenements) Fortescue Road
– A. Dendy – 2 cottages Manor Farm, Upper Mitcham


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.