Tag Archives: Church Road

Lower Mitcham School

Now Benedict Academy School, Benedict Road.

Described in the 1918 street directory :

Lower Mitcham, Church road, built in 1897, for 280 boys, 280 girls & 320 infants & enlarged in 1913 for 380 boys, 880 girls & 320 infants; John D. Clarke, master; Miss Annie Roes, mistress; Miss Ellen Smith, infants’ mistress

Staff
1899, Mr Harber, Headmaster
1899, Mr Hossack, Assistant Master
1918, Mr John D. Clarke, Headmaster
1918, Miss Annie Roes, Mistress
1918, Miss Ellen Smith, Infants’ Mistress
1926, Mr H. C. Toller, master
1926 to 1932, Mr F. C. Stone, headmaster
1933, Miss White, Teacher

Newspaper Articles

1899 School Board Report

1910 Antipodean Visitors

1920 Twin Towns

1924 Comedy of School Vacancy

1926 Novel Jazz Band at Christmas

4th October 1932, farewell and presentation to Mr F.C. Stone (referred to in Events of 1932)

1933 Seaside holiday for Explosion children


Merton Memories Photos
1924

1960 : Mitcham Firm Helps Solve A London Traffic Problem

30th September, 1960

Mitcham Firm Helps Solve A London Traffic Problem

The skill and precision workmanship of a local firm of constructional engineers —T. W. Palmer and Co. (Merton Abbey) Ltd., of Merton. Abbey Ironworks in Church Road, Mitcham — has been utilised to say “goodbye” to a passenger traffic problem at the Bank Station, Waterloo and City Railway (British Railways — Southern Regions) where at present during the morning rush period, approximately 40,000 passengers have to climb the long sloping walkway about 300ft. long. In the evening rush period, the traffic is in the reverse or “Down” direction.

The existing long sloping walkway, which has a series of steps at intervals, has long been nicked-named the “Drain.” During the rush period the “Drain” becomes almost choked with the moving mass of city workers but this picture will undergo a radical change when the passengers step on one or the other of two new design OTIS TRAV-O-LATORS.

T. W. Palmer, and Co. were responsible for the fabrication, to the design of Otis Elevator Company, of the two steel trusses which combine relative lightness with great strength.

Each truss is an intricate welded lattice girder, of light box section in form, and comprises one upper and one lower sections for the inclines, thirteen l8ft. standard incline sections, two variable
sections and frames for the upper and lower handrail drives.

The two steel trusses or structures, with flitted bolt splices, weigh about 33 tons together. Extreme accuracy of manufacture was essential and was achieved. Each TRAV-O-LATOR has a series of moving platforms, constructed from die cast aluminium with close spaced cleats to provide a good foothold. The platforms are provided with ample diameter wheels and are connected with a pair of continuous chains which surround the structural track system.

The change in angle of the platforms as they follow the track contour is almost imperceptible and, to reduce the danger of tripping as passengers step off the moving platform, each fixed landing is edged with a combplate which meshes with the close spaced cleats.

The distance travelled from the Lower Landing Combplate to the Upper Landing Combplate is about 325ft.

At full speed the TRAV-O-LATORS will travel at 180ft. per minute but provision has been made for the speed to be reduced automatically to 90ft. per minute should traffic conditions require this. A speed of l8Oft. per minute coincides with the fastest escalators on the Underground Railway Stations for London Transport Executive.

Source: Mitcham and Colliers Wood Gazette
30th September, 1960