Tag Archives: Mount Road

Barry Hopkins

Described in the Mitcham News & Mercury as aged 19, singer from Mount Road, Mitcham.

He visited Pye Records in March 1970 to promote his single.

Pop singer visits record factory

Barry Hopkins, the 19-year-old Mitcham singer, visited Pye Records Ltd., Western Road, Mitcham, recently to help promote his debut disc, “Love Ya, Want Ya, Need Ya.“

The record, which is being published on a Sparks label and being distributed by Pye, sold over 2,000 records in one week. Sales have now reached the 3,000 plus mark.

During this month he will be doing a television programme in the Channel Islands and will also be doing cabaret there for an evening.

While in Liverpool recently he did two radio shows, one for Radio Merseyside and the other for European Services.

During February Barry made three appearances at the Tower, Blackpool where critics compared his talent to that of such accomplished artists as Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard.

His record, which people are predicting as a chart buster, is also doing well in Germany.

Barry, who lives in Mount Road, has always wanted to be in show business. He was spotted by Herbert Wilcox, while playing Kipps in the Wimbledon Players’ production of “Half a Sixpence.”

He was then put in touch with Ben Lyon, who is now his agent and manager, and things have just snowballed for him ever since. All his fans will be pleased to know that work is to begin shortly on a follow-up record.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th March, 1970

List of records by Barry Hopkins.

He died of cancer in January 2014, aged 64. For more on his career see on this pantomine blog (scroll down to 9th January 2014 entry).

Mount Road

Road of council housing built after World War 1 between Western Road (opposite the junction with Lavender Avenue) and Church Road. First mention in electoral registers is for 1922.

Named after Councillor H.L. Mount JP, district chairman in 1920. It was an attempt at being a ‘Garden Village’ development with low density and cottage style homes.

House numbering is from east to west, i.e. from Western Road to Church Road. Even numbers are on the south side of the road, from 2 to 86; and odd numbers are on the northern side of the road, from 1 to 69.

The centre part of the road split around an oval shaped green. Before being named Mount Road the road was referred to in council minutes as the Oval Road. During the second world war, this green space was converted to allotments for the war effort. This clip, from an aerial photograph by the RAF in 1946, shows the outline of the plots.

clip from Merton Memories photo 31375, copyright London Borough of Merton.

This green was sold by Merton council to property developer Costain Homes (Southern) Ltd for £2,515,241 in 1988, and subsequently built upon. (Source: Merton Council minutes, 1988 volume 24, Development Committee, page 238, 29th September 1988). Houses built on this oval plot are numbered from 101 to 153 sequentially.

1933 OS map

Mount Road on Google street View, from Western Road end. The houses on the left were built in 1988/9 on the oval green mentioned above.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the London Borough of Merton are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.