Tag Archives: Mount Road

Hawthorne Avenue

Road off east side of Church Road and south of Mount Road.

1953 OS map

Houses are numbered even on the north side from 2 to 54, and odd on its south side from 1 to 29, then there is Oakwood Avenue, then from 31 to 47. The Royal Mail postcode finder shows 59 addresses, as some houses have been split into separate flats, all with the postcode of CR4 3DN.

The road was possibly built in the 1920s, as it is not shown on the 1911 OS map, but is on the 1933 map.

A person on the Facebook group Mitcham History said about her mother’s house:

The deeds show the transfer of lands and building gradually happening in Oakwood, Ashtree and Hawthorne from 1910. Houses built by Sir Isaac Wilson.

clip from aerial photo taken 10th February 1954, copyright Photoflight Limited


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Mount Rovers F.C.

Football club, Mount Road and area.

From the Norwood News, 22nd July, 1960

MOUNT Rovers F.C. have decided in future the players’ shorts and socks will he provided by the Club to improve smartness on the field.

There are still one or two vacancies for good class players to join the club, whose first eleven is in the Premier Division of the Morden and District Sunday League.

The Reserve XI is the only second-strmg team to be placed as high as the first division of the same league.

Applications should he sent to the secretary, Mr. H. T. Mount,
7, Mount Road, Mitcham, Surrey.

From the Norwood News, 10th August 1962

Mount Rovers annual meeting

At Mount Rovers annual meeting at the Bath Tavern, Mitcham, the officers were elected as follows: Mr A. Hanney, chairman; Mr H. Mount, secretary; Mr A. Brier, assistant secretary; Mr E. R. Mount, treasurer.

Three teams will be put out next season, all competing in the Morden and District Sunday League.

A letter was read from the president (Mr G. Arnold) stating that he intended to award annually a trophy to the player or official whom by secret vote was deemed to be outstanding.

The secretary H. Mount suggested that a committee be formed to cater for any increase of membership that might arise in view of the area in which their football ground was situated (Phipps Bridge) being redeveloped. This was agreed.