Tag Archives: varnish

John Robert Nicholls

Varnish manufacturer, see Nicholl’s Varnish Factory

Stories
Sussex Agricultural Express – Tuesday 23 October 1877

Assaulting an Old Man

JOHN Nichols, varnish manufacturer, Bath-road, Mitcham, was ordered to give John Adams, of Queen’s-road, Mitcham, 5s. for assaulting him on Oct. 19th, and to pay 5s. costs.—It appeared that complainant was gathering dandylions on Mr. Bridges’s land, when defendant came up, took his bag, and gave it to a dog he had with him. Complainant asked defendant to give it him back, when he used bad language to him, and when he asked defendant again for the bag, struck him in the head, and knocked him down, causing him to be insensible, and then struck him several times. Defendant also took his fork away, and threw it on to other premises, so he lost it.

—By Mr. Parry (who appeared for defendant): The dog did not take his bag, and he (complainant) did not threaten to run his fork through the dog.


Death reported in Sutton Advertiser of 13th September 1890

DEATH OF MR. JOHN NICHOLLS.

-With deep regret we have to record the death of the above-named gentleman, which took place on Thursday afternoon at 4.30. Deceased, who was in his 61st year, started life at what is known as the bottom of the ladder, and by his own industry, business-like habits, and far-sightedness raised himself to the position of a well-to-do market-gardener. He has filled nearly all the local public offices, and was at the time of his death Chairman of the Board of Way-wardens for the Croydon district, a Guardian of the poor, and a Lighting Inspector for the parish of Mitcham. Though perhaps not so eloquent as some of his colleagues, his practical experience was of great service on many occasions to the Rural Sanitary Authority, and he will be much missed by that body. Mr. Nicholls had been ailing for some considerable time, but had only been confined to his house for about five weeks. The death of his wife, which occurred about two years since, was a severe blow from which he never really recovered. Among the workpeople, by whom he was warmly esteemed as a kind and just employer, he will be sorely missed. As the arrangements at present stand the funeral will take place on Monday next.

Funeral reported in Sutton Advertiser of 20th September 1890

FUNERAL OF MR. JOHN NICHOLLS.

—On Monday afternoon the mortal remains of Mr. John R. Nicholls were interred in the family vault in the Parish Churchyard, wherein just over two years ago Mrs. Nicholls was laid. Mr. Nicholls was formerly a member of the Mitcham School Board, and for many years he has been one of the Guardians for the parish. He was also a very large employer of labour, and that he was popular with his neighbours was proved by the immense gathering at the grave-side on Monday. The coffin, which was of polished oak with brass fittings, bore on the breast-plate the simple inscription, “John Robert Nicholls, died 11th September, 1890, aged 60 years.” It was conveyed on an open car, and was completely hidden by floral tributes from many friends. The chief mourners were Messrs. Harry and Frederick Nicholls (the sons), Mr. W. Reading (son-in-law), and there were also present Messrs. G. Carter Morrison, W. Baldwin (Clapham), John Wallis, F. G. Samson, G. W. Dennis (Croydon), J. Howell (Epsom}, F. G. Lawson, Maxwell, J. W. Clarke (Buck’s Head), Richard Price, S. W. Reading, W. Mears (Singlegate), Ellis, Woodward, Haydon, Steel, Deady, H. Newman, Masters, Harwood, Hodges, Green, Dr. Smith, R. Slater, Allen, Mizen, Drewett, Thorne, Boyce, Roox, and many others. The first portion of the service was conducted by the Vicar in the church, and completed by him at the grave-side. The funeral arrangements were entrusted to Messrs. T. H. Ebbutt & Son, of Croydon.

Cock Chimney Factory in Batsworth Road

A local landmark that was in Batsworth Road, off Church Road, Mitcham.

The firm of Donald Macpherson occupied the site until 1969, and the chimney had their brand ‘Foochow’ in letters running down the side of the chimney. Macpherson was started in 1884 as a paint, varnish and Chinese lacquer business, based in Manchester. The company’s telegram address was ‘Foochow, Manchester’.

Photo taken by Eric Montague in 1967. Reproduced by kind permission of the Merton Historical Society. Image reference mhs-em-pb-62

The history of the firm, and how it got the name Foochow, is told in this article from The Birmingham Post
Wed, 27 Apr 1966, page 17, accessed via Newspapers.com.

Foochow enamels in the 1880s were the basis of the firm’s success.

More than 2,200 people are employed by the Donald MacPherson Group of Companies,
which is one of Britain’s leading manufacturers of paints, lacquers, varnishes and other surface coatings.

The foundations of the group were laid in Manchester in 1885, when Donald MacPherson formed a company to produce enamels.
Having travelled in the Far East, MacPherson had been impressed by the beauty and quality of Chinese lacquers, and these he reproduced as nearly as possible in a range of enamels to which he gave the name Foochow.

In the first year, Foochow Enamels gained awards at international exhibitions in London and France. Later, the name Foochow gained wider international recognition and the number of employees increased steadily to keep pace with the demand.

As early as 1890, the firm developed special finishes for use in the gas industry, both on industrial installations and domestic appliances. Production was by this time centred in Bury, Lancashire, and as trade grew it was decided to open a second factory at Mitcham in Surrey. A policy of expansion in the 1950s led to the acquisition of allied interests and formation of the Donald MacPherson Group. R. Cruickshank, Cellulose Ltd, was the first company to be acquired. It was taken over in 1954. The next step in the group’s development was the purchase in 1957 of Sherwood’s Paints Ltd, founded in London in 1777 by William Hughes, a dealer in oils and greases. This company soon became concerned with paints. The first Sherwood entered the business in 1850, and it was 100 years before the last Sherwood retired from it.

All the axle grease and harness oil were still being taken within living memory, but the advent of the car turned the company’s attention to the more sophisticated finishes for car bodies. Today decorative paints, industrial finishes, lacquers and varnishes carry the name Sherwood all over the world.
In 1958 the group acquired control of Mody & Co Ltd of Warrington, Lancashire. This company was founded in 1925 for the manufacture of French spirit and paper varnishes. Expanding business after the war led to the move to its present factory at Orford, Warrington, where the premises have been expanded since the company’s entry into the Donald MacPherson Group.

Another acquisition of the group has been that of Wilkinson Companies, LG Wilkinson Ltd with headquarters in Clapton, a factory in South Mimms,
and a depot at High Wycombe, Gerald Carter Ltd with a factory at Welling Garden City, and Wilkinson Paints Ltd operating from Scrutton Street, London.
The interest of these companies is almost exclusively in the manufacture of wood finishes and their relationship with the furniture industry, both in London and High Wycombe, is close. The substantial proportion of their trade is in nitrocellular lacquers, but their products also include catalysed lacquers and the latest developments in melamine, polyurethane and polyester finishes.

The most recent development has been the entry into the group of Thomas Parsons & Sons Ltd of Mitcham Surrey and its integration with an existing subsidiary to form Sherwood Parsons Ltd. Parsons was established in 1802 to manufacture coach colours and barges.
The founding family entered this field because they were coach operators connecting London and Bath with the Flying Wagon coaching service.
Since then the firm’s interest in coach finishes has developed and broadened. Today it’s not only a major supplier to the coach finishing and car refinishing trades, but has established a solid reputation in the building industry.

An Irish branch of Parsons, formerly situated at Inchicore but now at Sutton Dublin, continues to manufacture and supply under the original name of Thomas Parsons & Sons Ltd, but manufacturing and selling operations in Britain have been fully integrated with those of Sherwood’s.

Macphersons Trade Paints became part of the Crown Paints Group in 2008.

The chimney was first mentioned in Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 17 August 1889 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Fatal Fall from a Chimney.

—An inquest was held at the Mortuary on Saturday last before Mr. R. D. Muir, deputy coroner, and a jury, concerning the death of Thomas H. Haslam, 25, Cow Cross-street, St. Luke’s, an engineer’s fitter. It appeared that on the previous Thursday the deceased, with a labourer, was sent to some repairs to what is known the “Cock” chimney at a varnish factory in Church-lane, and, having engaged lodgings at 15, Holmwood-road, proceeded to inspect the shaft.

Having ascended to some considerable height, deceased by some means lost his hold and fell with great force to the bottom.

Medical aid was summoned, and the man removed to his lodgings, where he expired the same night.

The jury having viewed the body and having heard the medical and other evidence, and the Deputy-Coroner very carefully summed up, a verdict of “Accidental Death” was returned.


1945 ad

Donald Macpherson co. Ltd., Cock Chimney Works, Mitcham (paint manufacturers), require the following clerical staff: 2 Invoice Clerks. Order Clerks, Shorthand-Typists, Telephone Operator; good post-war prospects, possibility of advancement. Please reply to the above address or telephone for appointment, Mitcham 2963.

Source: Surrey Advertiser – Saturday 13 January 1945 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)


aerial photo from 1947 and 1952 OS map

aerial photo from 1947 and 1952 OS map

Merton Memories Photos
JJ Schweizer
Foochow
1970

From the phone book

1910

1910

In the 1896 street directory, listed as John Jacob Schweizer, varnish manufacturer.

1912

1912 to 1914

1915 Heyl phone

1915 and 1916

1919

1919 to 1921

1923

1923

1926

1926

1968

1968


From the minutes of the
Town Planning and Development Committee
31st October 1968

1266. COCK CHIMNEY WORKS, BATSWORTH ROAD, MITCHAM

– The Borough Surveyor reported that the Cock Chimney Works, which occupied four detached sites in Batsworth Road and Chapel Road comprising a total area of approximately 1.56 acres, had been offered for sale to the Council. He explained that the works were situated in an area allocated primarily for industrial use in the Initial Development Plan, but which had been re-allocated primarily for residential use in the First Review of the Plan now before the Minister of Housing and Local Government. He reported: —

(i) that the works were within an area at present being studied with a view to environmental improvement and adjoined other property which had been purchased by the Council, or its predecessors. for ultimate redevelopment for residential purposes;

(ii) that, to implement planning objectives in the area, the acquisition of the works had to be firstly considered from a town planning point of view and secondly as a prospective housing site; and

(iii) upon the estimated cost of acquiring other properties in the neighbourhood to form a viable site for residential redevelopment and on the likely housing gain which would be achieved.

Resolved – That the Borough Surveyor be authorised to negotiate terms for the purchase of the Cock Chimney Works and requested to report further to a subsequent meeting.

Source: Minutes of Proceedings of the Council and committees, London Borough of Merton, Volume 5 1968-69, page 806


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.