Tag Archives: 1953

Poplar Avenue

A cul-de-sac road off of the west side of London Road, opposite Figges Marsh, built around 1919/1920.

1953 OS map

The houses are numbered sequentially, clockwise, from number 1 on the south side to number 20 on the north side. They all have the postcode CR4 3LH.

According to Tom Francis, it was named after the Poplars School that was situated there, facing the Figges Marsh. This school was demolished after the outbreak of fever.

Occupants from the 1925 street directory

South Side

1, Stanley BACON
2, James R HUNT
3, Thomas HUMPHRIES
4, Arthur McGAHEY
5, Joseph Walter THOMPSON
6, Benjamin YEOMANS
7, Chester James CAPON
8, Alfred HEALY

West Side

9, Charles GALE
10, Joseph BAMFORD
11, Godfrey STONE
12, Charles Thomas UTTON

North Side

13, Mrs M. UTTON
14, Percy John LAMB
15, Frederick John CHARD
16, John James MEPHAM
17, Thomas PARKER
18, Albert Henry HOOPER
19, Samuel HART
20, Leonard George DREWETT

News Articles

Gloucester Citizen – Saturday 25 June 1927

DOUBLE MOTOR FATALITY

Mr John J. Mepham, Poplar-avenue, Mitcham, died on Friday from injuries received in a motor crash at Godstone, which his wife was killed.

1st September, 1944
Mitcham Man’s Gallantry – Awarded the M.M.


The name of the road was suggested in a Housing Committee meeting of the Mitcham Urban District Council, dated 7th September 1920, volume V, page 202. It was part of the post-WW1 housing scheme on London Road, which included Lavender Avenue, Rose Avenue, Camomile Avenue and Biggin Avenue.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Collingwood Road

Road with houses only on its east side. At its north end is Fox’s Path. At the south end, the road is accessed from Blake Road, off Miles Road. On its west side is a trading estate, formerly the site of Thomas Parson’s varnish factory.

The houses are numbered even, from south to north, from 2 to 56. Royal Mail postcode website says there are 28 addresses, all with the postcode CR4 3DH.

1953 OS map

The road was probably built in the late 1920s, as it isn’t mentioned in the 1925 street directory.

Occupants from the 1933 Electoral Register

2, Charles Alfred and Emily CAIN
4, William Stanley and Ivy Gertrude LAWRENCE
6, Percival Arthur and Ada SPENCE
8, Edward Charles and Gertrude FOWLER; George and Alice GARDNER
10, Montague, Martha Lucy and Montague John MANDER
12, Thomas and Maggie Rose GAMBLE
14, Alfred Thomas and Beatrice Ellen MANLEY
16, Henry George, Alice, Annie Elizabeth and William Lawrence TINGEY
18, William and Esther GUENIGAULT; Joseph and Phyllis Irene GREEN
20, Frederick James and Winifred Louisa CLATWORTHY
22, George, Eliza, Mabel and Leslie LONG
24, Alfred and Annie GILLETT; Sydney and Mabel SCHMID
26, Arthur Stanley and Hilda PHELPS; Albert Fred GROVER
28, James and Margaret CONGRAVE
30, Percy Westlake and Fanny VEALE
32, Cecil Vaughan and Rhida Louise RICHE; Frderick and Phyllis WALTERS
34, James and Rose GRIMSHAW
36, Walter and Annie SMITH
38, Alfred and Winifred DAVIES; Henry EVANS
40, Albert Edward and Amelia Mary PAINTER
42, Cyril Brian and Maud Edith CARR
44, Albert Henry and Alice Jessie SNOSWELL
46, Henry Edward and Florence Lilian GIBBS
48, Walter and Isabel WILSON
50, Charles Henry William and Florence BARNES
52, George Walter and Dorothy Louise LONG; Minnie DAVIES
54, Charles Thomas and Nellie PAYNE
56, William Henry and Kathleen Gertrude GASTER


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.