Tag Archives: Roper Way

Laburnum Park Estate

Laburnum Park was the name used for the housing development on the former Mitcham Stadium site. It may have been the name given by Wates Ltd, the developers, who bought the site in 1955.

In the Mitcham Borough council minutes of 14th June, 1956, the road names were recommended:

Mitcham Borough minutes, volume 23, 1956 to 1957, page 67

From OpenStreetMap, 2018

Newspaper Items

Norwood News, 15th May, 1959, via the British Newspaper Archives.

MITCHAM, Laburnum Park Estate – Two-year old luxury, modern, terrace house, three bdrms., bthrm., open plan downstairs, central heating, Marley floor, large kit., garage; £3,300 freehold – Box N0790, News, Upper Norwood.

Norwood News, 29th April, 1960, via the British Newspaper Archives.

Members of the Laburnum Park Estate Residents’ Association, Mitcham, presented one of their neighbours – England and Surrey Cricketer Ken Barrington – with a golf trolley at a dance held in his honour at the White Hart Hotel, Mitcham, on Friday. Pictured with Ken, who recently returned from the West Indies with the M.C.C., are officials of the association and Tooting and Mitcham players Brian Bennett, Paddy Hasty and Ted Murphy, who were among the guests.

Guyatt Gardens

Road with houses built by Wates Ltd on the site of the Mitcham Stadium, which they bought in 1955.

The road is reached from Eastfields Road by Roper Way, and Sandy Lane by Ormerod Gardens and Priestley Road at each end. Along with Fowler Road, these five roads were collectively called the Laburnum Park Estate.

c.1956 view of houses being built on stadium site; clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_Buildings_61-2

OpenStreetMap extract October 2018

Houses are on the northerly side only, arranged as three terraces (two of five houses each and one of four), and are numbered sequentially from 1 from the north west end to 14 in the south east end. All have the postcode CR4 2LN.

Possibly named after Guyatt’s Pit, a gravel excavation nearby.