No.s 60, 62 and 64 Church Road is a Grade 2 Listed Building according to Historic England (formerly English Heritage).
The Listing reads:
“Terrace of houses. Early to mid C18. Stuccoed brick (stucco removed to No 64, under restoration at time of writing). Double pitched gabled mansard roofs, plain tiles. 2 storeys plus dormers. Nos 60 and 62 together a symmetrical composition of 5 bays; No 64 of 3 bays. Central entrance to Nos 60-62; No 64 with entrance to left; matching pilastered open pedimented doorcases with ‘Gothick’ fanlight; raised and fielded 6-panelled door to Nos 60-62. Mid C19 panelled door to No 64. Square headed windows, flush frames; sashes. Flat topped dormers. Bands between storeys and above first floor. Coped parapet. 2 tall chimneys. No 64 with later attached wrought iron railings and gate. Interiors with turned baluster staircases.”
These photos were taken in December 2005 and the name ‘Grange House’ as well as the blue plaque have since been removed. The plaque read:
60, 62 and 64 Church Road
These listed buildings were originally
a pair of semi-detached houses with
outbuildings, built before 1742
Early Georgian features include the
doorcases, with friezes and pediments,
panelled doors and fanlights.
The late Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories: 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, pages 73-81, said:
Charles Everingham, a Mitcham linen-draper and shopkeeper, owned these properties from 1780 to 1812. In 1813 the owner was a Mr Child, then Richard Barnett for 1814 to 1818, followed by Samuel Child, who was warden of the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers. Charles Killick owned the properties in 1838.
The building’s land originally stretched back to Love Lane, and in 1984 part of this was separated and a block of flats built there.
For photos from the 1960s and 1980s, see Eric Montague’s slides.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.