Tag Archives: Mitcham Junction

Flat Tops

Cottages that were near Tramway Terrace, on the west side of the Carshalton Road, south of Mitcham Junction station, as described by J.D. Drewett in his Memories of Mitcham, published in 1926:

Many old houses in Mitcham have disappeared — a row of old cottages stood behind the Goat Inn — only two remain. Of several old cottages on the farm lands of Messrs. Mizen, along Amoys Lane one remains. Rumbolds Farm — and many old cottages called the Flat Tops — also stood on this estate, and were demolished many years ago. The site of Tramway Terrace was an open garden with only one small cottage at the entrance to Amoys Lane. There was a small pond in front of the Flat Tops, and two wells in the gardens. The railway to Croydon crossed the road level, and had a small cottage for the gatekeeper’s use.

1867 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Wavy Canopy Edge of Mitcham Junction

From an article called “Houses That Go With The Job”.

19560128-the-sphere-mij-wavy-canopy

Mitcham Junction is architecturally more conventional, with the Stationmaster’s house forming the block lying parallel with the down-line. A canopy with a wavy instead of the more usual jagged edge projects below the level of the upstairs windows, out over the platform.

Source: The Sphere – Saturday 28 January 1956 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)