Tag Archives: York Place

J.K. Harvey, chemists

Early 1900s view of the chemist shop of J.K. Harvey in York Place, Fair Green. This clip is from Merton Memories photo 30338 (c) London Borough of Merton

Early 1900s view of the chemist shop of J.K. Harvey in York Place, Fair Green. This clip is from Merton Memories photo 30338 (c) London Borough of Merton

Chemist closes after 88 years

An old-established chemist’s shop at Fair Green, Mitcham, closed at the end of June.

Founded in 1878, the business was taken over in 1943 by the late John Kentish Harvey, a well known local man who was for many years church warden at St Mark’s, Mitcham.

After his death in 1955 the business was run by his two sons, Mr John Kentish Harvey and Mr Lawrence Reginald Harvey, Langdale Road, Mitcham.

But in recent years there has been a shortage of qualified pharmacists and the firm unable to obtain a permanent one had to close down.

Mr J.K. Harvey and Mr L.R. Harvey, who both work in the City, will still be living in Mitcham.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 22nd July 1966.

In the 1928 electoral register, at number 1 St Mark’s Road, John Kentish Harvey was listed as an occupation voter whose address was 36 Langdale Avenue.

ad from 1938