Motor dealer and garage near the Swan pub on the western side of London Road, south of Eveline Road.
Business owned by Bertie Cyril DENDY.
He was married on 3rd August 1910 to Lilian Beatrice Mary MANSFIELD, aged 25, of 7 Spencer Road, Cottenham Park, Wimbledon. Her father is shown on the marriage certificate as Thomas Mansfield, carpenter. Bertie Dendy, also at the same address has his occupation shown as Coach Builder, the same as his father Adolphus.
The 1911 census shows him as a wheelwright:
Address: The Oakwood, London Road, Mitcham, Surrey
Adolphus DENDY, head, born 1854, aged 57, wheelwright
Frances Sarah Dendy, wife, born 1852, aged 59, married 33 years
Bertie Dendy, son, born 1881, aged 30, wheelwright
Lilian Beatrice Mary Dendy, son’s wife, born 1891, aged 20
His father Adolphus is listed in the 1915 street directory as a wheelwright at The Oakwoods, north of Oakwood Terrace. Adolphus Dendy was a District Chairman in 1907, and also landlord of the Ship pub. In the 1918 Kelly directory, Adolphus Dendy is listed as carriage & motor dealer.
From the 1925 street directory, listed in London Road going south:
Eveline villas :
10, William Arthur VLEACH
9, Ernest Alfred ARTHUR
8, Hugh ANDERSON
7, William DRAKEFORD
6, Latham Charles LATHAM
…. here is Eveline road
5, Sidney BOREHAM
3, J. W. AUSTIN & Son, provision dealers
2, Ernest REEVE, butcher
1, Miss L. FROUDE, confectioner
B. DENDY motor engineer
The Mitcham Cabinet Works (E. W. CLIFTON & C. OLDHAM, proprietors)
Swan inn, Roy DALE
B. DENDY motor engineer
Mrs. DENDY (The Oakwoods)
From the London Gazette, 2nd February, 1937:
NOTICE is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned Bertie Cyril Dendy and Arthur Henry Stanforth carrying on businees as Garage Proprietors at 174 London Road, Mitcham in the county of Surrey under the style or firm of “THE SWAN GARAGE”
has been dissolved by mutual consent as from the thirteenth day of December 1936. All debts due and owing to or by the late firm win be respectively received and paid by the said Berne Cyril Dendy.
The said business will be carried on in the future by the said Bertie Cyril Dendy.
—As witness our hands this 25th day of January 1937.
ARTHUR HENRY STAINFORTH.
BERTIE CYRIL DENDY.
MITCHAM’S SOLE AGENTS B. C. Dendy and Co.. Ltd., 180, London-road, Mitcham, has an advantage over other motor-dealers in Mitcham as he is the only agent in Mitcham for Morris and Ford cars. This advantage is also an advantage for prospective buyers of cars residing within easy reach of Mitcham, as one is able to see the car one wants in comfort.
Ford, of course, is known to all, as since 1903 the Ford organisation has made and sold over 25,000,000 cars. This unique record in manufacturing has only been made possible by the unusual value which Ford cars offer. The Ford “Ten” is the latest addition to Ford high-value cars, and one of the most outstanding announced for many years. It marks a new stage in the evolution of enjoyable but inexpensive motoring, offering exceptional roominess, high engineering quality. assured reliability, with remarkable economy.
His other sole agency, that of Morris cars, gives prospective buyers the opportunity of examining cars which have a reputation for fast, safe, and comfortable riding. The Morris “24” is designed in such a way that the most careful attention has been paid to those three dominating points.
The new overhead valve power unit has been thoroughly proved over an extensive mileage and combines surging power with the absolute reliability and smooth running for which Morris engines have been famed in the past. With a top speed of 70 miles per hour and an mildly impressive performance on the lower gears, it is more than capable of holding its own even with cars of much higher horsepower. It Is the car for the man who desires comfortable motoring.
DISASTROUS FIRE AT MITCHAM.
Late last evening a fire broke out at Dendy’s coach-building stores and offices at Oakwood, London-road, Mitcham. The Mitcham fire brigade were soon upon the scene and got to work, and in response to urgent calls engines and men from Croydon and the Metropolitan brigade arrived. In spite of the united efforts of the firemen the flames, fanned by a strong wind, continued to spread, lighting up the whale country-side, and attracting large numbers of people from the surrounding districts. The building was eventually destroyed, together with its valuable stock. The loss will run into thousands of pounds. The respective brigades remained at work for some hours, playing upon the smouldering debris, which from time to time burst out into flame. There has been no such fire in Mitcham for many years.
Listed in the 1938 commercial directory as B.C. Dendy & Co., motor car agents, 174 London Road.