The Beeches Estate is on London Road, Mitcham, just south of the new Mitcham Fire Station. It was built in 1959/60 on the site of E.T. Pearson, makers of Lactagol, which was bought by Mitcham Borough Council in 1959.
From the Norwood News, 15th July 1960:
A block of maisonettes and flats being built at 417-45, London Road, Mitcham, will be called “The Beeches.”
The Royal Mail website lists 32 flats on this estate, all with the postcode CR4 4BH.
The building is a slightly offset T-shape, with the the top of the ‘T’ facing the road, which has a ground floor of flats, and two upper floors of maisonettes. The vertical part of the ‘T’ to the rear has two floors of maisonettes.
Note the arrangement of the windows in the lower floor of each maisonette. All have French windows and a window to its side. The road facing block has six flats. The three flats to the left of the stairs have the French windows on the right of the main window, whereas the three flats on the right have the French windows to the left of the main window. The rear block has an alternating pattern of these windows.
Also of note are the brick-enclosed drain pipes.
A report in May 1959 said that the cost to Mitcham Borough Council was around £82,000.
As part of the Mitcham Bridge reconstruction, a cycle lane has been built that runs in front of the block. It goes around the back of the bus stop, requiring it to have a crossing which is flanked by raised bobbles that tells a blind person they are at a crossing, and ‘do not overtake marks’ for cyclists.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Pingback: Hearn’s Yard | Mitcham History Notes