Built in 1838 as an Infant’s School, to alleviate the overcrowding at the school house in Lower Green West (which later became the Parish Rooms).
An extract from the Mitcham News and Mercury of 21st January 1972, which showed a photo of the building with a For Sale sign.
On March 15, 1838, two sites were inspected by the squire, William Simpson; the curate, Herbert Randolph, and a local architect, Thomas Finden, of Baron House. Finden’s estimate and opinion were obtained and the site finally chosen by the Trustees was that adjoining the Tate Almshouses on the southern side of what was then known as Lower Mitcham, Whitford Green.
Like the almshouses themselves, erected nine years previously, the school buildings were to stand on land which had been occupied for very many years by the Tate family, whose large Georgian house had been demolished only a few years previously.
The building was completed within seven months, and with due ceremony the school was opened on October 28, 1838. Ninety children are reported to have been in attendance the first week, to embark upon their educational careers under the care of Arthur and Millicent Heron, the master and mistress.
2015 photo shows occupants as solicitors
A post world war 2 photo shows the building with chimneys.
From Merton Council’s Local List:
This is a pair of two storey semi detached houses, now converted to an office, and which dates from 1835. The building was originally used as the Headmaster’s house for the National Infants School at the rear. The architect was Thomas Findon. The design of the building indicates a Tudor gothic style. The materials used include render, with replacement artificial slate and terracotta ridge tiles on the roof. The design of the building does not relate closely to that of other buildings in the vicinity. The main features of interest include the Tudor gothic detailing over the doors and windows, the gothic centre recessed panel, and the (replacement) ornate bargeboarding and finials at the gables. There have been some adverse alterations made to the building, including the replacement windows on the side elevation, and the
artificial slate material used on the roof.
Architectural style _______ good
Age/history _______________ fair
Detailing _________________ quite good
Group Value _______________ none
Building Materials ________ fair
Subsequent Changes ________ some adverse changes
From the London Gazette Publication date:22 May 1969 Issue: 44853 Page: 5431
Name of Company: RAYHURST LIMITED.
Nature of Bunsiness: PROPERTY DEALERS.
Address of Registered Office: 8-10 Cricket Green,
Liquidator’s Name and Address: Walter J. Earrey,
8-10 Cricket Green, Mitcham, Surrey.
Date of Appointment: 14th May 1969.
By whom Appointed: Members.