Tag Archives: 1852

1852 : Mr Ashby, miller

Mentioned in a case about the theft of sacks.

WANDSWORTH.
— SACK STEALING.

— At the Police Court on Saturday, James Bennett, marine store-dealer, Garrett-lane, Tooting, apprehended by police-serjeant R. Whittle, V division, was charged with having in his possession three sacks, the property of Mr. B. L. Charrington miller, of Carshalton, Messrs. Hall and Davidson, and Mr. Ashby, miller, of Mitcham. The parties belonging to the Sack Protection Society.

Mr. Turpin, the officer to the society, attended to prosecute. The sacks were identified, and defendant was fined 10s. for each, and expenses, and in default of payment was committed by T. Painter, Esq. for one month.

Source: The South Eastern Gazette, 26th October, 1852

Lonesome Chemical Works

Late 19th, early 20th century chemical factory that was west of Rowan Road and south of Greyhound Terrace. It was part of the Mitcham Urban District although its address was Streatham.

Described in the Mitcham vestry minutes of 1853 as “the new factory lately erected at Lonesome Farm”

Source: Mitcham Histories: 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome by E.N. Montague; pages 20 to 25.

Incorrectly listed in the 1855 Mitcham Directory as Thomas Foster instead of FORSTER, india rubber works, Lonesome.

This ad from 1883 states that the firm of Forster & Gregory was established in 1852.

ad from 1883 edition of The Druggist and Chemist

Text of ad:

FORSTER & GREGORY
MANUFACTURING CHEMISTS
LONESOME CHEMICAL WORKS, STREATHAM COMMON, S.W.,

Makers of all tho Hypophosphites; also of Valerianic Acid and all Valerianates, Bisulphide of Carbon, Chloride of Sulphur, Chlorate of Baryta, and Chemicals for Pyrotechnical
and all othor purposes.

All Coal Tar Products for the Manufacture of Aniline Dyes.

Refiners of Sulphur in Rock or Roll, Ground Sulphur, Washed Sulphur, Milk of
Sulphur, Precipitated Sulphur. Guaranteed Pure.

ESTABLISHED 1852.] SAMPLES AND QUOTATIONS ON APPLICATION. [ESTABLISHED 1852.

1870 OS map

Eric Montague suggested that the Gasometer shown on this map was where the coal tar was extracted in retorts for the production of naphtha, used in making the india rubber. Town gas is a result of this extraction and may well have been stored in the gasometer for local uses, such as lighting for the works.

1894 OS map

1913 OS Map Lonesome


Note that the Manor Road shown on this map north of Marian Road was later renamed Greyhound Terrace.

1933 OS Map

News Articles

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 04 February 1899

The Chemical Factory and the District Council

At the Croydon County Bench Saturday, before Ald. Barrow the chair), Col, Cetto, Capt. T. Goodson, and Mr. S. Rostron, the adjourned case came of the Croydon Rural District Council v. William George Forster, managing director of Messrs. Forster & Gregory. Lonesome Chemical Works, Mitcham, respecting a nuisance in which the District Council asked for order against the defendant under the Public Health Act of to abate the nuisance.

– Mr. Wilson, representing the District Council, said that since the case first came before the Bench the experts the defendant met those of the District Council on the spot, and the result had been letter from the defendants’ solicitors, stating that they would agree to the order the Council asked for.€

– Mr. Dees said this was so. They consented to order accordance with the terms of the summons. The Council had agreed to give them a certain amount of time, 42 days, in which to carry out the terms the order. It would mean that the firm would have to do considerable work at considerable cost. The required order was made.

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 04 January 1879

Gregory.
— Dec. 17th, suddenly, Edwin Gregory, of Thornton Heath and Lonesome Chemical Works, aged 43 years.

Batsworth Road

Road that currently connects Church Road (opposite Foxes Path) to Belgrave Road. On the south side of the road is a trading estate.

Previously the south side was the site of industrial works and the north side allotments with piggeries.

1910 OS map. The Distillery was W.J. Bush. Batsworth Road today continues to Belgrave Road across where the distillery was.

The connecting road to the south of the distillery was also Batsworth Road as shown in this 1952 OS map:

1952 OS map

E.N. Montague in ‘Mitcham Histories: 8 Phipps Bridge‘, page 12, says that the Batsworth name can be traced back to the 13th century as the name of an enclosure of land. ‘Long’ and ‘Short’ Batsworth fields are mentioned in the sale of the estate of James Moore in 1852. They were part of the ‘Blacklands’ near Phipps Bridge, the colour alluding to the richness of the soil.

Mitcham, Surrey.

— To Capitalists, Market Gardeners, Medical Herb Growers, Agriculturists, and Others.

— Valuable Freehold and Copyhold Properties, nearly all land-tax free, comprising the Second Portion of the Estates of the late James Moore, Esq.

MESSRS. CRAWTER are favoured with instructions by the Devisee in Trust for Sale, to OFFER, at AUCTION, at Garraway’s Coffee-house, Change Alley, Cornhill, London, on WEDNESDAY, August 11 next, and following day, at
1 precisely each day, in 41 convenient Lots (giving Votes for the County).

Consisting of about 71 Acres of very Superior FREEHOLD and COPYHOLD LANDS, and PREMISES, situate dispersed in the Parish, lying near the Church, and in Church-street, and on the high road from Mitcham to Morden; also in Blacklands Fields, near Phipps Bridge, Long and Short Batsworth. Half Furlong, East Fields, &c., all accommodation land of first-rate quality, and in a high state of cultivation, capable of growing crops of every description, but particularly adapted for growth of medical herbs — (for which lands were used by the late proprietor), and market garden crops,
for which the locality has been long noted, with several eligible building frontages, in a healthy, populous, and improving neighbourhood, surrounded by, and adjoining to, good roads, only 8 miles fr London and 3 from Croydon Market-town, with a prospect of railway communication in the ensuing year, and the right to enfranchise the copyholds. N.B. — Possession can be had at Christmas next.

Particulars can be had 10 days before the sale of T. E. Pe????,
Esq., solicitor, 12, Mecklenburgh-square at Garraway’s; and the
King’s Head and Buck’s Head, Mitcham; the Greyhound and Cock Inns, Sutton; principal Inns at Tooting, Merton, Carshalton, Epsom, and Croydon; and of Messrs. Crawter. surveyors, land agents, &c., 7, Southampton-buildinga, Chancery-lane, and Cobhatn, Surrey. A competent person will be employed to show the lands.


Factories
Cock Chimney Factory

Photos on Merton Memories


Newspaper Articles etc.
Road stopping up order in the London Gazette Publication date:12 May 1988 Issue:51331 Page:5634

1960 : Explosion showers acid over homes

1928 : Pigs starved to death

1915 : Swine fever outbreak


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.