Tag Archives: 1917

Rowland Birkett

Draper’s shop that was on the east side of the London Road, south of the Kings Head pub. This part of London Road was called The Broadway.

1917 ad for no. 2 The Broadway

In the 1918 Kelly’s directory, listed at 2, 3 and 4 The Broadway.

Mrs Rowland Birkett, draper, was listed in the 1930 commercial directory at 321 London Road.

Santoy Works, Western Road

From an ad in 28th December 1917 issue of The Mercury newspaper:

Wanted, first-class tuner for tool making. – Apply Arthur Ryner & Co., Ltd., Santoy Works, Western-road, Merton Abbey, S.W. 19.

This 1921 aerial photo shows the factory of Ryner, Wilson Ltd Engineers:

1921 Ryner Wilson aerial photo