Tag Archives: Firework Road

Kings Road

Originally called Queen’s Road. Name changed between and 1891 and 1900 to avoid confusion with the Queens Road near Phipps Bridge.

The 1891 directory describes Queen’s Road from Grove Road to Spencer’s Road:

EAST SIDE

1 George FOSTER
2 Charles WILSON
3 George HARRISON
4 Thomas TOMKINS
5 Mrs HUNTINGFORD
7 John HUSSEY
8 Stephen TILLEY
9 Levi WHITE, inspector of nuisances for Croydon rural sanitary authority
10 William ROPER

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

From Grove Road to Spencer Road, as described in the 1915 street directory:

EAST SIDE

John BAKER, builder
Mrs. Emma BAKER, grocer
1 Samuel FORD
2 Frederick WALLS
3 George HARRISON
4 William HARRISON
5 James FIELD
6 George William SWALLOW
7 H HAZEL
8 Thomas PRATT
9 Charles VOGEL
10 Leonard CRAIG
11 James DELL
12 Charles GREEN
13 William Henry WILSON
14 Josiah GOOZEE
17 Alfred BALL
18 David W TAPPING


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Acacia Road

Originally called Firework Road, it ran from Grove Road to the firework factory of James Pain, in Eastfields.

1913 OS map

1913 OS map

Occupants from the 1915 street directory:

from Grove Road

NORTH SIDE

1 Horace McBRIDE
2 J. JEFFERSON
3 Henry TODD
4 William CARTER
5 Edward ROGERS
6 James PROCTOR
7 Joseph J. STEVENS
8 William WARREN
9 Frderick Charles BAKER
10 William LUXFORD
11 Robert PHELAN
James Pain & Sons, fireworks manufacturers

World War 1 Connections
Private Albert Edward Cousens

Private Alfred Jakeman

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.