Tag Archives: Langdale Avenue

J.K. Harvey, chemists

Early 1900s view of the chemist shop of J.K. Harvey in York Place, Fair Green. This clip is from Merton Memories photo 30338 (c) London Borough of Merton

Early 1900s view of the chemist shop of J.K. Harvey in York Place, Fair Green. This clip is from Merton Memories photo 30338 (c) London Borough of Merton

Chemist closes after 88 years

An old-established chemist’s shop at Fair Green, Mitcham, closed at the end of June.

Founded in 1878, the business was taken over in 1943 by the late John Kentish Harvey, a well known local man who was for many years church warden at St Mark’s, Mitcham.

After his death in 1955 the business was run by his two sons, Mr John Kentish Harvey and Mr Lawrence Reginald Harvey, Langdale Road, Mitcham.

But in recent years there has been a shortage of qualified pharmacists and the firm unable to obtain a permanent one had to close down.

Mr J.K. Harvey and Mr L.R. Harvey, who both work in the City, will still be living in Mitcham.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 22nd July 1966.

In the 1928 electoral register, at number 1 St Mark’s Road, John Kentish Harvey was listed as an occupation voter whose address was 36 Langdale Avenue.

ad from 1938

The Parade

Parade of shops on east side of London Road, south of the Upper or Fair Green, consisting of 12 shops to Langdale Avenue, then a further 6 shops south of there. Historic England defines a ‘parade’ as

‘planned developments incorporating rows of shops (facing onto an outdoor space), with a strong degree of architectural uniformity…. (which) includes at least three shops’.

aerial view of The Parade

aerial view of The Parade

Built around 1905 according to Montague, in his Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 107.

Could the builder have been J. Harding? This planning application was approved at the same time as another for 12 houses in Langdale Avenue:
From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume IX 1903 – 1904
7th May 1903
page 72

No. 2505, Harding, J., 12 houses and shops, London Road, Mitcham

From a Tuck postcard dated 1950

From a Tuck postcard dated 1950

1913 map (1:2500 scale):

1913 OS Map courtesy of Merton Heritage Service

1913 OS Map courtesy of Merton Heritage Service.

This 1953 map shows it with the shops renumbered. (The map has been rotated.)


Occupants from Commercial Directories

1911

 

Number Occupier Trade
1 Milton IRELAND grocer
2 Wm. Geo. EVANS customs & excise officer
2 Mrs. Annie Brooking MARTIN ladies’ tailor
3 Mitcham Liberal Association
3 The World’s Stores Limited provision dealers
4 Alfred Thomas JENKINS confectioner
5 Leonard Thomas DAVEY auctioneer
6 B. H. CRAIG & Co photographers
6 Gordon WILLIAMS artificial teeth maker
7 National Telephone Co. Limited
7 James WHITE oil and color dealer
8 John DOOLEY stationer
9 Charles BREESE chemist
10 Jean Baptiste ROMPEL watch maker
11 Clement CARLTON greengrocer
11 Cyril MARRIOTT printer
12 Frederick George PEARCE baker
13 Wraight, Dumbriil & Co. Ltd dairymen
15 Jas. NELSON & Sons Ltd. butchers

The Parade – Brookman, baker, at number 12 on the corner, is listed in the 1915 directory, but not the 1911

No. 13 The Parade, occupied by Wraight Dumbrill Ltd. dairymen.

From the London Gazette : “Wraight & Dumbrill Ltd. was registered in 1899, changed name to Curtis Brothers & Dumbrill Ltd. in 1917, which went into voluntary liquidation in 1931.”

1915

Number Occupier Trade
1 Milton IRELAND grocer
2 George OAKES tailor
3 The Worlds Stores provision dealers
3 Mitcham Liberal Association political
5 Leonard Thomas DAVEY estate agent
6 Miss Ethel DIXON milliner
7 James WHITE oil & color dealer
9 Charles BREESE chemist
10 Gregory WILLIAM boot repairer
10 Harry HARDING builder
12 A.W. BROOKMAN & Co. bakers
13 Wraight Dumbrill & Co. Ltd. dairymen
14 Hawkins & Desmond laundry
14 Herbert SPENCER upholsterer
17 Cyril MARRIOTT printer

After renumbering
1 -> 225
2 -> 227
3 -> 229
4 -> 231
5 -> 233
6 -> 235
7 -> 237
8 -> 239
9 -> 241
10 -> 243/5
11 -> 247
12 -> 249

13 -> 251
14 -> 253
15 -> 255
16 -> 257
17 -> 259
18 -> 261
19 -> 263

From the 1930 commercial directory

Number Occupier Trade
225 James REYNOLDS grocer
227 George OAKES tailor
229 The Worlds Stores Ltd provision dealer
231 Percy MAYHEW confectioner
233 Pearks Dairies Ltd provision dealer
235 Walter HUNT greengrocer
237 James WHITE oil and colour dealer
239 Percy MAYHEW stationer
241 Edward WAVELL chemist
243 Harry HARDING builder
247 Russell and Son watch makers
249 Leonard T WELTEN confectioner
251 United Dairies dairy
253 Peckham Steam Laundry Ltd laundry
255 Stanley Philip BLOGG greengrocer
259 The Mitcham Printing Works printers engravers and account book makers
263 The Mitcham Garage motor engineers

Shops in 1989



Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Bamboo House

Chinese restaurant, 249 London Road, corner of Langdale Avenue. Established in 1960.

Extract from the Daily Mirror, 8th April, 1965

In England Today there are more than 2,000 Chinese Restaurants

… in the “Bamboo House,” 45-year-old Mr. Pui Cheung opens seven days a week with members of his family as his chief assistants.

Mr. Cheung arrived in England eleven years ago by boat from Hong Kong with very little money in his pocket, and for six years he worked in restaurant kitchens and then as a waiter.

Five years ago he risked his savings and got a mortgage to open his Chinese restaurant.

Today he has paid off his mortgage and is saving hard to expand.

He regularly serves more than 300 4s. 6d. lunches between midday and 3 p.m.

He employs an 18-year-old boy, Lai Fong, solely to look after and grow fresh bean shoots from seed in huge wooden tubs in an immaculate transformed coal cellar.

He told me: “I often use 100lb. bean shoots on Saturday nights alone, and I can only keep pace with the demand by growing them on the premises.”

Most Chinese restaurants do the same — it’s handier and cheaper than buying outside.

The popularity and standard of food values can be judged by the fact that local housewives now collect Mr. Cheung’s three-course 4s. 6d. meals to take home for the family.

Shiu-King, the owner’s strikingly good-looking wife, supervises the kitchen. His elder son Ching Kwong is her deputy, his daughter-in-law, Choi King, is a waitress, his 21-year-old son Yick Kwan is the deputy chef and his 19-year-old daughter Oi-ling, is a waitress.

Inflation adjusted, four shillings and sixpence in 1965 is around £4 in 2016.

Langdale Avenue

A cul-de-sac road, off of London Road north of the telephone exchange, with its southern, closed end at the Cold Blows footpath.

Houses are numbered from the London Road end, odd on the left (1 to 95) and even on the right (2 to 84). In 2019, a Royal Mail postcode lookup shows 87 addresses, and 4 postcodes, CR4 4AE/F/G/J. Some houses have been converted into flats.

The name comes from the Langdale family who owned Elmwood (previously called The Firs), an 18th century house, sold in 1822. Albert Road, Elmwood Road, Langdale Avenue and Whitford Gardens are all built on the site of the Elmwwod estate. The family were related to Marmaduke Langdale, who fought on the Royalist side in the English Civil War.

In this 1910 OS map, the terraces have houses numbered odd from 1 to 11, then after a narrow alleyway 13 to 19, and are the only houses shown on this side of the road.

1910 OS map

The 1911 street directory shows the occupants:

1, Frederick Arthur LOOSLEY
3, Edward James WILLIS
5, Alfred Albert Henry COOPER
7, Raymond REED
9, Rev. Wallace PERRY, B.A.
11, Mrs ACOCKS
15, John William MOORE
17, James HARDING
19, Frederick HAZELL

Next is a pair of semi-detached houses numbered 21 and 23. Then is a terrace of four houses, numbered 25 to 33, after which is a public footpath leading to Commonside West.

Land at the rear of Newton House was developed as a pair of semi-detached houses as numbers 49 and 51, according to planning permission MIT1986, which was granted retrospectively on 27th March 1953.

Next are two more pairs of semi-detached houses, numbered 53 and 55, 57 and 59. After this are terraces, divided by small alleyways: 63 to 67, 69 to 75, 77 to 81, 83 to 95 which is at the end of the road next to the Cold Blows path.

Number 93 on the left has the builder initials H.H. in the gable, and number 95 has the year 1907.


On the right hand side, from the London Road end, is an alleyway that still has cobblestones on the footpath at its entrance. Then there is a terrace, numbered 2 to 12, and in 1911 the occupants were:

2, Frederick James CHARMAN
4, George D.N. FORD
6, Thomas HARRIS
8, Miss CLAYTON
10, John William COULSON
12, John Hunter RIGDEN

The 1910 OS map showed a gap between these houses and Elmwood Road, after which is a terrace that curves right with the road. The houses are currently numbered 22 to 34, but originally they had names as shown in the 1911 directory:

The Lees, Walter HOGG
St Brelades, Walter ATTWOOD
Woodlands, John McLennon JONES
Moss Dale, Louis BRIGDEN
St. Leonards, Henry MOYCE
Chamonix, William Arthur GREGORY
Glenroy, Walter Edgar WARNER

There are no more houses shown on this side of the road on the 1910 map.

From a postcard dated 1916. Houses currently numbered, from right to left, 22 to 34, with the junction with Elmwood Road out of shot on the right. These houses had names at the time of this photo.

1953 OS map

Next is a terrace of six houses numbered 38 to 48. The 1937 electoral register 38 as occupied by John Kentish and Alice Mary HARVEY, with John Kentish junior and Lawrence Reginald Harvey. J.K. Harvey had the chemists at the Fair Green up to 1966.

Then there is a terrace of ten houses from 50 to 68, followed by a pair of semi-detached houses numbered 70 and 72, then a terrace of six houses numbered 74 to 84, which is the end of the road at the Cold Blows footpath.


From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume IX 1903 – 1904
7th May 1903
page 72

No. 2506, Harding, J., 12 houses, Langdale Avenue, Mitcham

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Highways, New Streets and Buildings, and Lighting Committee
Tuesday, 8th June, 1926
Page 120

Plans submitted for approval

No. 808
Applicant: Mr. Isaac Wilson, The Hut, Commonside East
Nature and Situation:

Amended layout for five houses, Langdale Avenue (for subsidy)


World War 1 Connections
Private W Bassett

Private V W Jones

News Articles

1921 suicide in Langdale Avenue explained

Lamp Explodes

A gas street lamp in Langdale Avenue, Mitcham, exploded on Thursday last week – startling people in nearby homes. A jet of flame flared from a broken pipe until Gas Board engineers arrived. Firemen stood by.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 5th June, 1959, page 1.


Occupants in 1925

2, Miss E. ELLIOTT (school)
3, Ernest Edward JONES
5, Alfred Albert Henry COOPER
7, Hugh CLAYSON
9, Donald HADFIELD
11, Mrs DODD
13, Henry George RUSSELL
15, William James BIGSBY
17, William ANSTEY
19, William Bernard FARADAY
21, Charles Henry PARSLOW
23, Albert George WELLS
The Bungalow, Raymond Edgar REID

4, Edwin George CARD
6, Frederick G. CULMER
8, Misses A.R. & C.C. CLAYTON
10, Thomas FRANCIS
12 Charles E. JENNER
… here is Elmwood Road
The Lees, M. ALLSOP
St. Brelades, Walter Charles BATCHELOR
Woodland, Samuel MICHIE
Moss Dale, Robert WALLS
32, Frederick Richard CANN
34, James Alexander CORMACK
36, John Kentish HARVEY
38, Bodwin SELIER
40, Mrs MILLER
42, Mrs L.E. BEACON
44, John Stuart CAPBELL
46, Alfred John KNIGHT
48, Philip HARDING
50, Mrs COOPER

Number 6 had the name Iveldene according to the 1937 Mitcham Cricket Club Yearbook that listed R.S. Culmer as the club’s Hon. Secretary.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural and Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.