Sir Malcolm Arnold Robertson was MP for Mitcham from August 1940 to July 1945.
Born 1877, died 1951.
1921 – 1925 : Consul General Tangier
1925 – 1927 : Envoy & Minister Buenos Aires
1927 – 1929 : HM Ambassador to Argentina
3 June 1924, KBE (Knight Commander of the British Empire)
3 June 1929, KCMG
1 January 1930, GCMG
In 1944, his wife suggested that Lower Green East be renamed to Cricket Green.
The Mitcham parliamentary constituency was created in 1918, and abolished in 1974.
Road name sign at the southern end of the odd-numbered road called Cricket Green. Photo taken June 2019.
From the Corporation of Mitcham Minutes & Reports, Volume 10, 1943 to 1944
18th February 1944
pages 181 to 182
Read letter from Lady Robertson suggesting that in order to avoid confusion between Lower Green East and Lower Green West, the former should be renamed “The Cricket Green” a name generally used in respect of this part of Mitcham by a large number of people.
Resolved, That the Council be recommended to agree to this proposal and to rename the highways as suggested by Lady Robertson.
Lady Robertson was the wife of Sir Malcolm Robertson, the MP for Mitcham from 1940 to 1945.
1938 OS Map
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.