Tag Archives: Marian Road

Marian Road

Road in Lonesome part of Mitcham, just south of boundary with Streatham.

In December 1899, Fortescue & co. had plans approved to build four houses in Marian road.

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

Nearby the incandescent gas mantle factory of Robin Ltd. was a large employer during World War 1, when imports from Germany ceased.

From the 1930 Commercial Directory
Edmund W. Baker, shopkeeper, 24 Marian rd
William Charsley, coal & coke dealer, 1 Marian rd., telephone 1479
Mrs. Emily Dunbar, dairy, 8 Marian rd
George Grice, greengrocer, 68 Marian rd
John Hall, boot repairer, 37a Marian rd
Harry Marchant, grocer, 75 Marian rd

World War 1 Connections
Private Donald Gordon Gowar
1914 survivor of HMS Aboukir returns

News Articles

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 04 February 1899

Artisan’s Dwellings at Mitcham. €”

On Saturday, at the Croydon County Police Court, before Mr. J Judd and Mr. T. Goodson, A. W. Jaggers, of Albert-villa, Rosebery Avenue, East Ham, was summoned by the Croydon Rural District Council for allowing No. 1, Marian road, Lonesome, Mitcham, to be occupied without having first obtained a certificate from the said District Council for the provision of sufficient available supply of wholesome water within reasonable distance.

– Defendant pleaded guilty, but said he was ignorant that a certificate was necessary, and asserted that the water was laid on at the house, Mr. J. Wilson prosecuted on behalf the District Council, and explained that the defendant had a number of houses at Lonesome, Mitcham, and the District Council’s Inspector had had to pay a considerable amount of attention the houses that defendant had built. The District Council, however, was not summoning him for infringing a number of bye-laws in that case. Defendant had allowed a number of houses inhabited without the water being supplied and not obtaining a certificate. They had a letter from the defendant, which stated that his only reason for acting in this way was that wished to sell the houses. There were three or four other houses at this point, some of which the defendant had allowed to be tenanted without proper water supply.

Mr. R. M. Chart, Surveyor to the District Council, said on the 23rd of December the Building Inspector had reported to him that a house at Lonesome had been tenanted without proper water supply, and witness caused a letter be written to the defendant the subject. About five days later reply was received stating that defendant was very sorry, and had given personal attention to the matter, and it should be done at once. On the 5th January he visited the house himself, and found no water was laid on. He also discovered that two other houses had been let, neither of which had any water. The drains were a disgusting condition. On the 13th January he again visited the houses, and a man was engaged putting water on, and a week later saw the man finishing the job.€

– The Chairman : Your object is to get it done?€”
– Mr Wilson: Yes€”
– The Chairman (to defendant); You ought to have known what the law was in reference to this. If in the future you are going to build other houses don’t let this happen again. You had no right to let before efficient water supply had been laid and you had obtained a certificate. Don’€™t let it occur again. You must pay 7s. costs.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Lonesome Chemical Works

Late 19th, early 20th century chemical factory that was west of Rowan Road and south of Greyhound Terrace. It was part of the Mitcham Urban District although its address was Streatham.

Described in the Mitcham vestry minutes of 1853 as “the new factory lately erected at Lonesome Farm”

Source: Mitcham Histories: 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome by E.N. Montague; pages 20 to 25.

Incorrectly listed in the 1855 Mitcham Directory as Thomas Foster instead of FORSTER, india rubber works, Lonesome.

This ad from 1883 states that the firm of Forster & Gregory was established in 1852.

ad from 1883 edition of The Druggist and Chemist

Text of ad:

FORSTER & GREGORY
MANUFACTURING CHEMISTS
LONESOME CHEMICAL WORKS, STREATHAM COMMON, S.W.,

Makers of all tho Hypophosphites; also of Valerianic Acid and all Valerianates, Bisulphide of Carbon, Chloride of Sulphur, Chlorate of Baryta, and Chemicals for Pyrotechnical
and all othor purposes.

All Coal Tar Products for the Manufacture of Aniline Dyes.

Refiners of Sulphur in Rock or Roll, Ground Sulphur, Washed Sulphur, Milk of
Sulphur, Precipitated Sulphur. Guaranteed Pure.

ESTABLISHED 1852.] SAMPLES AND QUOTATIONS ON APPLICATION. [ESTABLISHED 1852.

1870 OS map

Eric Montague suggested that the Gasometer shown on this map was where the coal tar was extracted in retorts for the production of naphtha, used in making the india rubber. Town gas is a result of this extraction and may well have been stored in the gasometer for local uses, such as lighting for the works.

1894 OS map

1913 OS Map Lonesome


Note that the Manor Road shown on this map north of Marian Road was later renamed Greyhound Terrace.

1933 OS Map

News Articles

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 04 February 1899

The Chemical Factory and the District Council

At the Croydon County Bench Saturday, before Ald. Barrow the chair), Col, Cetto, Capt. T. Goodson, and Mr. S. Rostron, the adjourned case came of the Croydon Rural District Council v. William George Forster, managing director of Messrs. Forster & Gregory. Lonesome Chemical Works, Mitcham, respecting a nuisance in which the District Council asked for order against the defendant under the Public Health Act of to abate the nuisance.

– Mr. Wilson, representing the District Council, said that since the case first came before the Bench the experts the defendant met those of the District Council on the spot, and the result had been letter from the defendants’ solicitors, stating that they would agree to the order the Council asked for.€

– Mr. Dees said this was so. They consented to order accordance with the terms of the summons. The Council had agreed to give them a certain amount of time, 42 days, in which to carry out the terms the order. It would mean that the firm would have to do considerable work at considerable cost. The required order was made.

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 04 January 1879

Gregory.
— Dec. 17th, suddenly, Edwin Gregory, of Thornton Heath and Lonesome Chemical Works, aged 43 years.

Building Plans Approved 19th Century

From Croydon Rural District Authority Minutes

4 April 1895:
– additions to Killick’s Lane Board School

16 May 1895 plans approved:
– coach house & stable, Baron Row, Mitcham Dr. Ferrier Clarke

11 July 1895:
– stable, Lock’s Lane E. Thumwood

22 August 1895:
Messrs Mizen, Eastfields, to erect two cottages at Manor Farm, Westfields

17 October 1895:
– Messrs Typke & King to build a lab at the Crowned Chemical Works, Mitcham
– Mr JD Drewett to erect two cottages in Killick’s Road

10 June 1897:
Warehouse at Phipps’ Bridge road by Harland & son

10 June 1897:
10 houses in Graham rd by Mr HJ Vile of 4 Crieff Rd, Wandsworth

8 July 1897:
– Mr G Pitt of Mitcham to erect a cottage in Church rd Mitcham
– Mr J Burges, Norman rd, Merton to erect a butler’s pantry at the “Cedars”, Mitcham

21 October 1897:
– Mr JM Pitt of Mitcham to erect four houses Gladstone rd, Mitcham

4 November 1897:
E. Pearce of 264 Brixton rd, to erect stable & coach house at Graham rd, Mitcham

6 January 1898:
Mr CF Woodward of Graham avenue to erect four cottages in Church rd., Mitcham

20 January 1898:
RA Bush, Hall Place, Mitcham to erect four pairs semi-detached villas in Church street, Mitcham

17 March 1898:
Perry & Reid of 9 John Street, Adelphi for erection of new public house “Buck’s Head”, Mitcham

20 April 1899:
Chapman, FC houses Fortescue Road
Mitcham & Cheam Brewery co. – offices, Lower Mitcham

14 May 1899
New road at Miles Road, Mitcham was approved in November 1898 at 36ft wide, but bye-laws had since changed to 40ft; committee decided not to insist on wider width as plans were approved before the change.

25 May 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – six houses Pitcairn rd.
J. Wilson – 37 houses Gorringe Park, Mitcham

13 July 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – 14 houses Pitcairn rd.

27 July 1899:
Chapman, FC – 2 houses Fortescue Road, Mitcham
W.M. Thompson for S Gedge – 6 houses, Mitcham Park Estate

27 September 1899:
– Dell, J – 2 cottages King’s Road, Mitcham
– Cruwys, R – shop, London Road

12 October 1899:
Geo. Pitt – new road, Century Road & 22 cottages on same
– Mr Dalton – 4 houses (8 tenements) Robinson Road

26 October 1899:
GH Stephenson – 3 shops & 12 cottages Miles Road
– J Tuckett – 11 houses (each 6 flats), Park & Robinson Road

9 November 1899:
Taylor & Kinsett – 18 houses Pitcairn rd.

14 December 1899:
– Moses & Carver – 6 houses Graham Road
– Fortescue & co. – 4 houses Marian road
– Mann, Crossman & Paulin – addition to Gladstone House, Mitcham

8 February 1900:
– G. Lawrence – 3 houses (4 tenements) Fortescue Road
– A. Dendy – 2 cottages Manor Farm, Upper Mitcham


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.