Tag Archives: RJ Hamer

Providence Cottages

A terrace of 5 cottages that was on the north side of Church Road, near the entrance to Love Lane. Originally numbered sequentially going towards the church from 1 to 5, they were renumbered by 1925 as 82, 84, 86, 88 and 90 Church Road.

1910 OS map, which shows this part of Church Road as Church Street.

Occupants from street directories

1896

1, Edward WEBB
2, Charles ONLEY
3, George BROCKWELL
4, George LAMBERT

1904

1, Arthur Albert BROADBRIDGE
2, John PARLING
3, George BROCKWELL
4, George LAMBERT
5, Mrs CLARKE

1925

82, Arthur Albert BROADBRIDGE
84, Mrs PARLING
86, Samuel WELLER
88, Mrs LAMBERT
90, Mrs RICE

According to Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories: 12 Church street and Whitford Lane, page 69:

two of the cottages were demolished in the early 20th century to provide a site for the works and yard of R. J. Hamer and Sons Ltd.

R. J. Hamer, paints and varnishes, had their head office in Miles Road. The 1963 list of factories listed no. 82 Church Road as the despatch depot for the firm.

This 1953 OS map shows this single property on the site numbered 82:

1953 OS map

As Montague noted further on, this depot was demolished in 1990 and the site languished until being redeveloped for housing.

Entrance to Love Lane from Church Road. Photo taken when four 3-bed houses were being built on this corner by the Beaver Housing Society in 1996/7, which is now numbered as 82A Church Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Venus Mews

Road with housing development off south side of Miles Road, and on eastern edge of the parish churchyard. Built on site of former RJ Hamer varnish factory.

Planning application 02/P0460 :

Redevelopment of site involving the erection of 10 dwelling houses (6×3 bed and 4×4 bed); 3 storey building comprising 3 class B1 business units, 2 live/work units, 8×1 and 1×2 bed flats, together with parking and servicing spaces
and landscaping.

An archaeological survey was initially recommended by English Heritage, but later withdrawn, and so such survey was done.