19th August 1940
The Town Clerk reported that the Battalion Commander of the Home Guard has asked for permission to use the Dovecote for the storage of bombs, and he had pointed out to Captain Nelson that the building was of sentimental value and scheduled for preservation under the Ancient Monuments Act, and as a result the application was withdrawn.
Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 6 1939 to 1940, page 513
18th August 1942
Dovecot at The Canons
More work has become necessary since a start was made on the reconstruction of the above. The oak beam, 12” x 6”, supporting the roof, is very badly split in the centre,necessitating the construction of a reinforced pier, together with another pier to carry the lintol supporting the masonry over an aperture.
The extra work will amount to approximately £50.
Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 8 1941 to 1942, page 616
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.